B!@#$, You Beautiful!

7:45 PM

Remember, here, where I talking about starting therapy?  Well, I got a kick in the ass by my family and they forced me to go started going.  I'm not sure how I feel about it, any of it yet, but I did learn something fairly mind blowing.

Hang on.

She say, "Did you know that 90% of the conversations we have are inter monologue with ourselves? And did you know that 70% of that monologue is negative to ourselves?  What do you say to yourself? Would you be friends with someone who spoke to you the way you speak to you?"

Sidenote: I probably made up those percentages but I think they are close.

MIND. BLOWN.

I started noticing what I say to myself.



Typical day and I'm so sadly not exaggerating.

Alarm goes off.  I push Snooze.  Alarm goes off again.
"Katie, get up.  You're so lazy.  You didn't go to the gym this morning.  You're so lazy."

Walk to the shower and look in the mirror.
"Ugh, gross.  More wrinkles.  Fatter.  Hmm, not sure I love my hair.  Should have taken off my make-up last night."

In the shower.
"Really?  You haven't shaved your legs in forever.  That was awesome that you wore shorts yesterday."

I'll spare you the whole day but the worst part is, I bet I'm not alone.  What do you say to yourself?


So, fast forward.  Therapist says, "I want you to think of an affirmation and make it a habit to say it each time you _________________.  You can say it each time you walk through a doorway or get out of you car, whenever.

LPIMH:  Wow, this is some legit therapy.  Affirmations?

But, I think of an affirmation for myself and call my BFF.

I tell her the story and she says, "What's your affirmation?"
I said, "I'm not sure but I think it's going to be, Katie, you are a beautiful, smart and confident woman who is open to talking to new people."
She replies, "That's ok but I think we need to gangsta it up a bit, how about,
B!@#$, you beautiful AND you got book smarts!" 

So, I leave you with some homework...
1.  Notice what you're saying to yourself this week
2.  Be nice to you!  You're awesome!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers