Get Naked
7:22 PM
We say...
Don't cry in front of your kids.
Don't tell him how you feel.
Don't tell him how you feel.
Don't get mad.
Be strong.
Be happy.
Why?
Why can't we cry in front of our kids?
Why can't we tell people how we feel?
Why can't we get mad?
Why do we have to be strong?
Why aren't we allowed to show emotion?
I have lots of friends who are dating and we say things to each other like, "Well, I lost my power." We all say it and, quite honestly, we all believe it. The worst thing a girl can do is give away her power, right? Or is it right?
Be happy.
Why?
Why can't we cry in front of our kids?
Why can't we tell people how we feel?
Why can't we get mad?
Why do we have to be strong?
Why aren't we allowed to show emotion?
I have lots of friends who are dating and we say things to each other like, "Well, I lost my power." We all say it and, quite honestly, we all believe it. The worst thing a girl can do is give away her power, right? Or is it right?
I just watched a great Ted Talk, probably one of the best I've ever seen by Brene Brown.
If you have some time, it's absolutely worth the sixteen minutes but if not (or if you're like me and HATE watching videos in the middle of reading), here's the synopsis...
Having hard conversations is hard. It makes us feel all exposed but what do you think of those people who are willing to do it? Are they weak...or are they so very strong?
I found that in my work life, those teachers that I am willing to have those tough conversations with (and those who are willing to really call me out) are those relationships that are the strongest and the teachers who do the best.
My best and most well received blogs are the ones where I was terrified to hit Publish.
Authentic. Exposed. Vulnerable.
In my personal life, those people who allow me to be completely me and vice versa are really the only people I have time for. I hate small talk. I love real but even me, who prides herself on being real, only cries in front of a handful of people...
because some things, like tears, just make me feel too naked.
I am forever grateful to my tribe who allow me to be completely exposed.
Do we all have aspects of our lives that we are willing to be vulnerable about and others that we aren't? Are there people who you are and aren't?
Who are those people who you allow your soul to be naked with
and how much richer is your life for having them in it?
Here's my challenge to you...GET NAKED.
Peel off those layers and let people see all of your imperfections.
It's actually quite freeing to let the world know that every now and then...
you're human.



0 comments