Slow Progress is Still Progress

7:16 PM

I'm 3 weeks in to my Crossfit 480/180 Challenge.


This morning I got on the scale and I had only lost 2 lbs. 2 MOTHER F***ING POUNDS IN 3 WEEKS! I almost threw my scale at the mirror but quickly thought that 7 years of bad luck may not assist in my weight loss so I re-thought that.

Then I put on my pants...and they were a tiny bit looser. I chalked it up to the fact that I haven't washed my jeans in 2(ish) wears. What?! Don't even lie. You don't wash your jeans every single time either. They're the perfect fit after the first wear!

So, I'm still pissed at everything. I'm pissed at myself for times that I eat cookie dough on Friday night. I'm pissed at Crossfit because somehow it's their fault I haven't lost weight. I'm pissed at my friends who are naturally skinny because...because, eff them. Why were they blessed with these quick metabolisms anyway?!

BUT...here's where things get good. Get ready. Are you ready? This is a big deal...

My friend, who I met at Starbucks to do work (and we actually did minimal work and maximal chatting) said, "Your face looks so much better. Fresh and thin and great." OH. MY. GOD. I love you Sarah!

Now, I love everything. I love Crossfit for helping make my face look thinner. I love myself for eating right all the other times that I'm not eating cookie dough. And I even re-love my skinny friends because...well because they're my friends and they're hot and they should own it.

It's definitely been slow progress but in just 3 weeks I know I have made some BIG (albeit seemingly slow) progress.


Here are the things I can do that I could before:
1. Double Unders
It sounds like something they made up in Australia to me but really, they are jump roping and when you jump you do 2 swings of the rope around before you come back down. I couldn't do them for weeks and I did them last Tuesday!!!

2. I Can Run(ish)
Boomer who is my buddy doing the CF 480/180 Challenge with me and who is awesome and funny and great by the way. Anyway we were running on Sunday and we BOTH have improved so much. We used to be breathing hard after jogging 1/4 of the track, walking 1/4. Now, we jog 3/4 of it, walk 1/4. We did that 5 times, and then ran the whole thing. Pound it out for Katie and Boomer!

PS. I know I can do it, but I am still weak sauce when it comes to my mind. If he hadn't been running right in front of me, I feel like I would have walked. So, thank you Boomer and I need to work on my brain.


3. I Can Finish My WODs
Even hard ones, I finish. A few times ago I had to lay on the ground, panting, when I was done but I finished. Sidenote: I told my brother about this and he said, "You layed on the ground. You are so dramatic." I said, "Next Open House is the weekend you're here. I can't even freaking wait." So, Derek, Justin, and Brian...you better put a WOD up that shuts him up good.


But I digress...back to I'm finishing my WODs! You have no idea how excited I am about this. Now, I know that I'm not going to get better than anyone in my T/Th class, but I'm hoping some new people will join so maybe, just maybe, I can be better than them. Here's what I'm seeking in new Cfers: couch potatoes, once fit people who are now fat, fat people. Triathletes need not apply. ;)

3. My Shoulders are Thinner
This is where I carry my weight...actually I carry it all over but this part is so annoying to me. I have friends that carry their weight in their ass and thighs. I think I would SO rather that than arms. I mean, your ass and thighs are always covered. So quit your whinin' bottom heavy friends! ;) Anyway, my shoulders are getting thinner. I think I'm losing weight from the top to the bottom. I don't care how it goes as long as it goes.

Next up...I want to EARN my right to buy a CF480 tank top. I can't wait to rock it but I don't think I've earned it yet. I need to set a goal, meet it and then I'll give myself permission to buy it! Suggestions on goals?

Until next time blog readers!

PS. THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading my blog! I LOVE when I hear that people are actually reading!

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Nice work Katie! You are so damn hard on yourself! Yes, not only can you see it in your face but your arms also look tighter! :) You look good friend! Keep it up especially where you're at right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't be so dramatic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Katie! You're such a great writer!

    I found that quote: "I'm not where I need to be, but thankfully I'm not where I used to be!"

    It's from Joyce Meyer. I apply it to many aspects of my life. Love you Katie! Can't wait till we can do some hiking together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie...Katie...Katie......stay off the scale, it will only piss you off, I promise when you stop focusing on the "number" it will start to go down more quickly. There is a huge psychological component to weight loss and you are only inhibiting your progress by fixating on the scale. Focus on all the other things, the way your clothes fit, the comments people make, how much more energy you have. The number on the scale is just one metric to gauge your progress and to be honest not the best one. I only lost 7lbs my first year doing Crossfit but I went down 3 pant sizes, a shirt size, and looked better than I had in 10yrs. Your body composition is changing and you are building muscle at the same time decreasing your body fat percentage which means the number on the scale is going to move slowly......and cookie dough......really. This isn't the biggest looser where you are secluded and all you do is workout 8hrs a day, have no stress, and have all the healthy food you want at your fingertips.......sorry momma'. You are doing fantastic and I am glad you recognize your progress as you get stronger and are able to increase the intensity level things will progress more rapidly. So, now that you can run, finish WODs, and do DU's concentrate on increasing the intensity by going longer between resting and maybe challenging yourself with a little more weight.....just a little..... Like you said, it's only been 3 weeks......you have 21 weeks left in the challenge and I am pretty sure you won't stop there.......see you Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, let your goal be increased fitness and health rather than weight loss. When you improve fitness and health (which it sounds like is already happening), weight loss is just an added benefit (icing on the cake).

    And, IMHO I think you should rock that CF 480 shirt NOW! 1) Yes you HAVE earned it. You earn it each time you are there. 2) You ARE a member of the CF community. I hate to tell you this, but YOU ARE ONE OF US NOW. 3) Wearing a CF shirt will make you feel good. At least it does me. I am a CrossFitter and am proud of that.

    Have you heard that old saying about how some people wait to be happy until (x, y, and z) happen in their life, but that this is wrong -you should be happy now no matter where you are. Well, same goes for CF shirt. Don't wait. Rock it now. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also......

    Strong is the new skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Katie! Just wanted to say I love reading your blogs! Tomorrow starts the beginning of my 3rd week at CF480 and reading your blogs when it was super new helped motivate me (when I was "researching" CF480 I found the link to your blog on their Facebook page)! So, thanks for that! Also, I agree with LeeAnn... get the CF480 shirt! I think you listed at least 3 reasons in this blog alone why you deserve it! Keep it up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh em gee! Someone I don't even know is reading my blogs! Yeahhhhhh! AJB, so psyched that you joined CF480. I bet you're rockin' it. What nights do you go?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha... I'm rather far from "rockin'" ANYTHING at CF! But... I love the way it makes me feel and I can't wait to be the stronger version of ME =) I go Tues/Thurs at 5! ~Abbey~

    ReplyDelete

Followers