14 Things I Learned Being a Coach

11:15 AM

Year 1 of being an Instructional Coach-done.  It was nothing like I thought it would be and everything I didn't know I needed.  I feel like I grew so much-some days more than others!

13 Things I Learned This Year

14.  Nobody Rises to Low Expectations
Our expectations of our teachers are crazy high.  Sometimes we wonder, aloud, if they are too high.  I think this may be a blessing in my job and a curse in my life.  <-- A blog for another day.Then, they meet them. Clear expectations where you deliver the learning, then follow up.  If either piece is missing, it doesn't work.  Kids rise to high expectations.  Teachers rise to high expectations.  People rise to high expectations.




13.  I am VERY Type A
I didn't think I was but I am.  Not knowing exactly where a plan is going or having the details worked out causes chaos inside of me.  I need a plan.  Luckily, most leaders are the same as me so we get along great.  My friend was telling me the other day, "I'm working to become a little big more Type B, you should too."  Noted ;)




12.  We All Have Strengths
"We are presented the same lessons, in different forms, until we learn them."  I'm not sure who wrote that quote but I always remembered it.  Yes, yes I was.

Yet, again, I like to be the best-the most organized, the most well liked, the best.  Last year we hired someone, who was 26 by the way, to fill my position when I took the role as Instructional Coach.   She was Little Miss Business (LMB).  Her outfits, her organization, her everything seemed to upstage me each day.   Plus, she was doing the job I did last year BETTER than I was.  I was green with ugly envy.  What the Hell?  Nobody does a job better than me?  Yes Katie, yes they do.

LMB, IS PHENOMENAL at her job.  I mean, seriously, the best I have ever seen.  She is so data driven, willing to learn, always looks outside the box for the next best solution, she is great.  I'm learning, s-l-o-w-l-y, that someone else's strengths are not a detriment to me.  She makes me better.  She made me dress better this year-most admin, less teacher.  She helps me focus when my ADD kicks in.  She is crystal clear in her Professional Development delivery.   She is flawless at delivering difficult messages to teachers.

I'm realized, once again, that just because she has these great strengths doesn't mean that the things I am good at are less valuable.  When i put my guard down and really embraced her strengths we began to develop a relationship and now, LMB, is such a close friend of mine.  I absolutely love working with and learning from her.



11.  Multi-Tasking is Bad
We all get super busy so we try and text, e-mail and have a conversation at the same time.  I have decided I hate that and I'm going to work to not do it.  #1-when I do it people get upset with me because I don't seem like I'm fully engaged in the conversations and I'm not.  #2-I don't remember what was said and, inevitably , have to re-have the conversation later.  #3-I don't get as much done as I would if I had fully committed myself to 1 task at a time.



10.  Eat Lunch
I made a commitment to actually eat lunch every single day and we did pretty darn well.  We met in the middle of our room at 11:00 each and every day.  Loved our consistent time.  This year our goal is non-working lunches.  I'm giving myself permission to close my laptop and just eat and chat with the girls about non-work things.  Can we do that next year Girls?  Let's commit!




9.  Safe Places Needed
I HAVE to be able to vent, free of judgement.  I need to know, with 100% certainty, that our conversations will stay right where they are being held.  This is a very difficult, very human job.  Frustrations get high, people get annoyed and we all need our safe places.

I love my safe 301 home.  I love that I can run into the rooms in that room at any given time and we can process through happenings.  They just listen or give advice or help process.  Love those girls!



8.  I Need a Good Boss
It's a good feeling to love your boss.  I have been blessed with so many good bosses along the way that, at this point, I don't think I could ever work for a crappy boss.  They gently push and teach me so much.  I love that we can talk and process together.  She doesn't micro-manage or make me feel like less.  It's collaborative.  We are here to do the best job we can for the teachers, staff and kids at our school because that's what they deserve.



7.  Constructive Criticism is Necessary
I hate hearing it so much and I really hate giving it as well.  It's hard and uncomfortable.  However, it is so very necessary for me to hear so I can grow.  I commend anyone who has enough courage to give constructive criticism with a kind delivery.  At work, in life, anywhere.  I wrote about those conversations here too.

High five to the teacher who came to me this year and told me, in the nicest way possible, that what I was doing wasn't working.  It was my hardest day last year.  I think I cried for a week, no exaggeration.  Then, I reflected and worked my damnedest to make changes.






#6-1 tomorrow...what have I missed so far?!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers