10 Swimming Safety Tips
6:11 PMI feel it is my duty to offer a bunch of unsolicited advice give some swimming safety tips.
Perhaps it's because of my years of prematurely getting wrinkles lifeguarding, or permanently etching a Speedo tan line into my body being on swim team for years, or 10 years of wiping noses in the pool teaching swimming lessons or just always being around water but there are very few things as important to me as being safe around water.
10 Swimming Safety Tips
10. Kids MUST Learn to Swim
It's not optional. It's not when you have time. They have to learn. I, personally, think all kids should be able to swim without any floaties, etc by 3 years old. The reason being that's a PERFECT age for them to learn because they are old enough to take direction and young enough to not be too afraid.
9. Practice in the Bath
Bubbles, ears in the water, float on your back, put your eyes in the water! It can all be practiced when it's bath time
8. Swim Lesson Should be Short and Often
Take a kid one time per week for an hour is not nearly as effective, when they are first learning, as taking them every single day for 15 minutes. There are lots of intensive programs out there so if you're given the option-2 solid week sessions rather than once a week is the way to go.
7. Dunk Em
In the bath, in the pool, anywhere with water. Take them under the water. They will be fine. Yes they will. Then, if they cry, don't ask them if they are ok or be sad with them. They're fine! Say, "Wasn't that fun! Did you see the fisheys? I saw a blue one!" I once had a parent sit by the side and would have her kid get out of the pool and run to her so she could wipe his face each time I put him under water. Punch. You know why!
PS. For all the concerned parts about water intoxication, taking them under 4 times in 30 minutes will be ok.
6. Pool Gates
No exceptions. Ever. Every time I taught swimming lessons, I would go over the safety rules. I would say, "Are you allowed to go swimming without a grown-up?" One time a kid yelled, "No!" I said, "Why not?" He said, "Cause you'll get a hard spankin!" Hey, works for me!
Swim instructors everywhere would agree that they have a MUCH harder time if you sit by the side while they're still scared to be away from you and scared of the water. Watch from a window and come back after they're ok in the water.
4. Let Someone Else Do It
If you have a really reluctant swimmer, chances are, they will swim better without you than with you trying to teach them.
3. Group, not Private
Kids do well with some positive peer pressure. Sometimes private are great but when you have a really reluctant swimmer a class with 4 other kids might be just what he/she needs
2. Hire a Lifeguard
If you're having a pool party, hire a lifeguard whose only job is to watch those kids swim.
1. Have a Designated Child Watcher
My family and I physically look each other in the eyes and say, "Are you watching ______? I have to go ________." "Yes." Then when they get back we do it again, "Ok, I'm watching _______ now." It might sound over the top but I can't tell you how many times a kid has silently slipped under the water. Accidents happen in a second and it's often when everyone thinks everyone else is watching.
What other big ones did I miss?! I'm sure there are tons!
Swim Safe! Or as my niece would safe Fwim Safe!




0 comments