14 Things I Learned Being Coach (#6-1)
1:02 PMYesterday I started 14 Things I learned as an Instructional Coach.
Here's the rest...
6. There's a Time to Push and a Time to Pull
Depending on what I said to them last time we talked, what's happening in their personal lives, how well the last lesson they taught went, what happened with their co-workers that day will all depend on the next conversation I have with them.
Are they in a great place, ready to be pushed to the next level? Do I just need to leave a nice note and get the hell out of that room? Can I stand up and model something real quick? I am learning to quickly assess the teacher in the room and what they need to hear at that moment.
5. Different Teachers, Different Needs
We have some teachers who MUST receive feedback before I exit their room or they can't continue teach effectively. We have others who would really rather not be pulled out of their classroom. We have others who will find me if I don't find them first to hear feedback on what I saw.
Every teachers is different and there's no one-size-fits all method to coaching them.
4. Put the Pen Down
As a teacher, should you take the pencil out of the kid's hand and write things for them? No! Obviously! However, I found myself holding the marker during Planning Meetings all the time. Why? These are not MY lessons I'm about to teach so who needs to know them best? The teachers! I'm still working on this. I have some real control issues.
3. Real Relationships Take Time
I'd say one of my greatest strengths, in life, is developing real relationships with people (hmmm the irony that is my dating life is not lost on me here). Anyway, I wanted to have those relationships be instant. I needed to get to know a lot of teachers very quickly but, as with anything real, it takes time.
When I first started at Loma, nobody came into my office unless they needed something, ever. Now, teachers come in just to vent or visit. YES!
I know that putting chocolate out may attract them faster but I would eat it all and I can't have that.
2. Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Someone in my Masters program told me this after my iMovie that I was using for a presentation, had a glitch. I almost choked on my tears hearing this the first time. However, I later took it and realized he was exactly right.
When i was fully prepared and planned, my Planning Meeting went so well. When I had only slightly looked at their upcoming units, I wasn't ready with the questions I should have been.
1. I Didn't Know Anything
I feel like Coaching for the first year was so similar to being a first year teacher.
I came is, so cocky. I've been teaching for years, I thought, and I did it pretty well. I can task analyze anything in record time and have a fairly strong foundation in curriculum and instruction and classroom management.
Guess what?
NOBODY CARES.
In fact, they think you sound like a real arrogant b!@#$ when you exude that persona.
It turns out, I had NO background in what I was about to do which was deal with every type of personality that changed from day to day and have to figure out how to talk to them without having them hate me in the process.
Every single day I keep learning. Our teachers are learning and teaching themselves new things each day. They do such great things in their classrooms. I love that I work with a group of teachers who are so willing to learn and share and grow.




1 comments
I feel like you just finished your second year of coaching, no? You were out of the classroom before me, right?
ReplyDeleteUmmm...your line about "I have control issues." (re: the marker) hilarballs.
also, you're so funny (and right) about the chocolate to lure people in...but you're awesome so I'm so happy your teachers are stopping by just to say hi!
love you bff!