The Atmosphere
9:19 PM
Racers always says, "It's addictive."
What's addictive?
The atmosphere.
"The chances of me ever
getting addicted
to running or making my heart beat at a very rapid pace
are slim to none."
Today was my 3rd race.
4:45 am...alarm goes off.
What the hell am I thinking?
I begrudgingly get dressed in my already laid out running gear.
By the time I get in the car, I'm ready.
My brain is happy.
The sun is coming up in pink sheets
as I drive to meet my friend.
A quick stop in to the convience store,
for a bit of nourishment.
We caravan down to Tempe.
Tons of cars.
Tons of people.
All for a common cause.
"Let's do this."
We walk to the tent.
So many people in one place
for the same event.
Free everything.
Drinks, energy, fruit, coffee.
Grab and go.
We walk to our corrals to stretch.
A few stretches.
Thousands of people.
A sea of red.
And then a saxophone starts playing.
The entire place goes dead silent.
We remember why we're there.
As the National Anthem plays,
hands go over hearts
and I am so proud to be an American.
We make our way up to the Start.
Unexpectedly seeing random friends.
A quick hello and good luck and we're off.
Tunes are on and we go.
Some run.
Some walk.
Finding people along the way to keep pace with.
And just when you think,
You're too tired to continue,
People on the sidelines cheer you on.
Family members of others.
Friends.
People with signs.
Cheering everyone on.
So you keep going,
until you're done.
Reunited with friends at the Finish Line.
Pictures. Smiles.
We did it.
Yeah, I can see how people could get addicted to this.





2 comments
I LOVE this blog.
ReplyDeleteFavorite lines you crafted: Sun comes up in pink sheets and the last line.
You're a runner and a writer, and I love reading your blog! I can't wait to do a run...and lets find one in San Deezy!
So true Katie! And, you look great!!!
ReplyDelete