Greener Grass
11:46 PM
I love Social Networking.
I get to see the kids of friends I've had since I was 5 years old grow up,
even though we live hundreds of miles apart.
Some of them look JUST like my girlfriends of years and years ago.
Via Social Networking I see that children have the mannerisms of people of my past, people I loved so much.
Even though my bosses will change I get to keep virtual tabs on their lives.
I see the faces and post of people I know, sick people, but I know they're still alive and putting in work into this game called life.
Happy friends who take their chaos with a grain of salt...and a big glass of wine.
Happy friends who take their chaos with a grain of salt...and a big glass of wine.
I see pictures of places I want to visit.
Old boyfriends who married their perfect partners.
I see faces that haven't changed a bit, faces of people, who at one time or another have been the most important people in my life.
I rekindle friendships with people I didn't even know I liked.
I hate Social Networking.
People getting married.
Friends having babies.
Family with four year olds.
Pictures of mothers and daughters, laughing and sharing coffee.
Sharp images though a beautiful lens.
It all looks so pretty.
And it makes me sad.
How come nobody out there has any problems?
Is it just me?
I have a job that doesn't pay me enough.
No mom.
I meet a single man once every 3 years...and he's gay.
There are no children who share 1/2 my DNA.
And I dropped a curling iron on myself the other day.
And you know...that's just how it is.
Because some of these people who I social network with, I know well.
Personal relationships that tell me,
Things aren't quite as perfect as they seem.
Some things just don't get posted...nor should they.
I don't love my husband anymore.
We're all in counseling.
We are in a constant state of poor.
I thought is was what I wanted and it wasn't.
I just got fired.
I can't get pregnant.
I can't find a job.
I dream of selling my husband and children and moving to a small apartment...alone.
I lost my house.
I analyze things to the point that I can't find the joy in them.
I analyze things to the point that I can't find the joy in them.
I have no confidence.
I have no education.
I have a drug problem.
I'm a single parent and every day is a hard day.
I'm a single parent and every day is a hard day.
I struggle with my weight every day of my life.
My son has all of the problems that you talk about at work.
Those pictures of smiles and beautiful are real...and they only tell part of our story.
And I remember...the grass is not always greener.
Life is pretty damn good.

1 comments
Love this post, Katie! I really wonder what life was like before social media became such a huge part of everyone's life... Sure, news traveled more slowly, but phone conversations and connections (perhaps) were more meaningful. Maybe people went out for coffee more often to catch up, instead of just judging people lives based on their "walls". I'm always a pessimist when it comes to technology: it is physically, emotionally, and spiritually unnatural although humans are so quick to meld it into their existence. I think people need to accept that life is a challenging for everyone. It's all relative and no one gets out without a little (or a lot of) struggling, despite the portrait that their social media posts/pictures paints. I say count your blessings, give thanks, and say quick prayers for those you know who are in a state of struggling. Focus on listening and looking for doors to open to bring you on your intended path. Tune out all the rest...
ReplyDelete