Rangers Lead the Way
7:42 PMYour average CrossFitter starts his or her WOD to some sort of old school rap, alternative or rock, but not Derek Kneadler. His favorite WOD music is the soundtrack from “The Last of the Mohicans.” The choice sums up the long and the short of 1st Ranger Veteran, owner of CrossFit 480 and one hell of a fit man, Derek Kneadler. He is dedicated, deliberate and puts more effort into everything he does than most anyone out there.
In 2004 Derek enlisted in 1st Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. He earned his Tan Beret on April 15, 2005. In asking Kneadler what made him decide to join the military, this was his response. “Some of the best men I will ever meet served in Ranger Batt and I will never forget them. I joined the War because of my respect to past Veterans. WWII Vets really inspired me to serve, they truly are the greatest generation ever. My Father also did his duty when he was drafted, so I felt like I needed to do my part.”
Derek was deployed five times between Iraq and Afghanistan and earned numerous medals, which included the Bronze Star with Valor. He wouldn’t mention them to you if you asked, but Kneadler defended the freedom of our great USA against the enemy and defeated them with his strength, focus and total physical fitness.
Derek says, “It was Ranger Battalion that introduced alternative training and functional movements as a way to prepare yourself for life." Derek was selected to become SME (Subject Matter Expert) for his platoon on the physical training program called Ranger Athlete Warrior (RAW).
He began CrossFitting in AZ at CrossFit Phoenix in 2008. In his words,
“I got into CrossFit at the end of my military service. I was doing the Ranger Athlete Warrior (RAW) program when I was in 1st Ranger Batt. When I started to get out I looked more at CrossFit as I did not need a specialized program, which is what I was doing with RAW. I needed something to fill the void left from separating from the Army and the friendly competition in day to day WODs or local competitions helped.“
It was at his local Box (CrossFit Phoenix) he worked out with Scott Pauley and Alisha K. “We had a small group that met almost everyday. They were very good at teaching Oly lifts and preach the importance of form/technique. My love for CrossFit really began at CrossFit Phoenix.” It wasn’t long before Kneadler became addicted to what has become the CrossFit community and lifestyle. “I fell in love with CrossFit because of the bonds and friendships that come with the program.”
Within the past year Derek and his long-time friend, Brian Gubernick, opened Crossfit 480 in Scottsdale, AZ. “Opening the gym has been a lot of fun, getting to work with a good and long time friend is always a great thing.“
Within the past year Derek and his long-time friend, Brian Gubernick, opened Crossfit 480 in Scottsdale, AZ. “Opening the gym has been a lot of fun, getting to work with a good and long time friend is always a great thing.“
His dedication to his Crossfit is evident in the décor his 480 Box. It is fraught with days past, but not forgotten, of Army Life with POW/MIA Flags hung, Pat Tillman’s framed pictures, family photos, and Army Heroes who have been killed in action.
On any given Saturday, this gym will be filled with friends and friend’s of friends trying to show new people exactly why they love CrossFit 480. Derek will likely be holding 480's youngest member, 18-month old, Avery Gubernick and simultaneously giving feedback on Cleans and Jerks. Kneadler and Gubernick have brought their hard working, family-oriented values into CrossFit 480 which is, undoubtedly, one of the many reasons the gym is growing at such a rapid rate.
Derek’s diet is as strict as his workout schedule. He eats clean and works out dirty, the CrossFit way. Kneadler says, “Right now my goals in the sport of CrossFit are to qualify for Regional’s and compete well. My one-year goal is to make it to 3rd day at Regional’s in 2013. Got a lot of work to do!”
Kneadler is too humble to tell you himself but if you were to ask any CrossFfitter out of 480, they would tell you that they are more than confident in Derek’s abilities. His focus and drive will carry him through this competition because Kneadler doesn’t quit. Whether protecting his country, saving the lives of his fellow Rangers or pulling out 30 Muscle-ups in 3:50 minutes, Derek Kneadler always get the job done.




0 comments