Thyroid?

9:14 PM

I went to the Doctor and I swear to God I could hear the LPIHH (little people in her head) the other day and here was the conversation...

Me-"I think I might have a hypothyroid."
Dr-looked at me. LPIHH-Reeeeaaally? (that should be in sarcastic font)
Me-"Whenever I try and lose weight, I work and work and it's really hard to lose."
Dr-continues to look at me. LPIHH-If had a nickle for every time I heard this.
Me-"I'll eat really great for a month and only lose 2-3 lbs."
Dr-LPIHH-Hmm, really healthy? The whole time?
Dr-says in her trying to not be condescending voice, "Well, we can certainly run that test. That's easy. However, what are you going to do if you don't have a thyroid problem, because most people don't? I usually recommend Weight Watchers. Even if you have a problem that doesn't mean that you will automatically lose 20 lbs."

So, they ran the test (and snuck in a tetanus shot which they didn't mention would have the most painful aftereffects in life...story for another blog)

Here's my e-mail from her:
Hi Katie
your thyroid test came back in the normal range (TSH 1.30 - normal is 0.45-4.5)
I do recommend weight watchers and exercising daily - with increasing intensity as your body gets used to what you are doing - but if you continue to struggle w/ weight loss, I can recommend a weight loss center that I refer patients to - just let me know

I feel like she was shaking her head and smirking as she typed this.




Sooo, as it turns out my thyroid is freakin' fine. Cool. So, it's just me. Me and my fine thyroid that needs to shape up.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Katie,
    Sounds to me like you need a new freakin dr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second opinion, I say!!! You do work very hard and I think there has got to be an explanation for only losing 2-3 lbs in a month. New doctor!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losing 2-3 lbs a month means that you are doing it correctly. Slow, gradual weight loss is the best way to do it and the best way to keep it off! Unfortunately if you really want to ramp up the weight loss you need to do dreaded calorie counting instead of just "eating healthy". No easy way to do it unfortunately. I'm expecting #2 6/24, not looking forward to beginning on my own weight loss journey, uggg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have done WW 2.5 years ago & lost 15lbs in about 6 mos... i am doing it again be i have put the weight back on... it really works i have to say! i have started w you on this journey.. & i am down 3.5lbs... you can do it... i havent even worked out!!! YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!!! i am not telling you this to toot my own horn... but to give you encouragement.... i too have a crazy sweet tooth & LOVE food way too much. in the past i have relied on my workouts to keep me even keel.. but w my bad back i have to do it w food! not my fave... but it is working!!!!!! i dont pay for it i do it w apps on my phone! keep it up Katie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing 2-3 pounds/month is the correct way to lose weight. !!!!!! And I wouldn't say you need a new doctor because you don't have a thyroid problem - Maybe for being an an attitudy asshole, you could consider it. But to be honest, I didn't find anything he/she said was wrong or out of place. My suggestion is (along with cario) is to lift weights. And please don't be the idiot female who says, "But I' don't wanna get bulky." It's not gonna happen!! Those broads (who are bulky/manly) spend their LIFE in the gym working out, eating, and supplementing. I read an article saying that women don't lift nearly enough weight (and build muscle) which is why they have a hard time losing weight and have bone issues. I say, continue eating healthy ... buy a couple healthy dinner recipe books or whatever ... but really invest in a personal trainer.

    From,
    Heather P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, ladies, I'm convinced. Back to calorie counting. Just downloaded the Livestrong App to my phone. Although when I did WW, I heard that 1-2 lbs per WEEK was good but 3 per MONTH? that's not very much :(

    HP, I used to lift and I agree with all of that. My trainers used to say the same stuff and they made me lift HEAVY things. Usually I could do 2 sets of 12 and was dying.

    ReplyDelete

Followers