Skinny Bitch
9:49 PMAs a get-me-motivated-jump-start to my new lifestyle, I re-picked up one of my favorite books, Skinny Bitch. It was so refreshing to be reminded of all of the important things in the book. It's a straight-shooting, no nonsense guide to living the healthiest lifestyle possible...and since I'm a straight-shooting, no nonsense (trying to live healthily (is that a word)) kind of gal, this seems perfect.
It's message in a nutshell, "If you want to be the skinny bitches that you're so jealous of, stop eating shit and move your body." It's a message that I am 100% on board with.* (Do I look like a real author when I use the asterisk?)
Here are some of the very best things I have taken from it, that I try and remember:
1. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Duh. This isn't rocket science. If I want to lose weight, I need some green (or orange or red) in my life. Besides, the more good stuff I put in there, the less hungry I am for the bad stuff.
2. Aspertine is the devil. I HIGHLY reccommend the chapter on this. There are so many document adverse effects of aspertine (migranes, skitopherenia, cancer, just to name a few of the non-scary ones). No Diet Coke! This is one of my hardest ones. I love it. I want it. On a tough day, I feel like I need it, but I don't. I don't. It's poison. I don't, I don't, I don't.
3. Dairy is unnecessary. Here's a little common sense for you. Look at every other species in the world. What do they do when they are born? Drink their mother's milk. Then, ween off of it. Then, eat and drink other things...NOT another animals milk. So, why do we drink cow's milk? It's a myth that it creates strong bones and there is no medical evidence leading to that fact. There IS eviece that shows: milk cause excessive mucus. Just try this if you have a cold...one day have a lot of dairy in your diet. The next, none. Which day did you feel better. 1/3 of the population is lactose intolerant. Hmmm, interesting.
4. Processed food sucks. "Diet" processed food sucks even more. We should be shopping the perimeter of the grocery story, not in the aisles. Well, maybe the spice aisle, I love that aisle.
5. Refined sugar is bad for you and highly addictive. I have the worse sweet tooth in the world. It might be the hardest thing in the world for me to slow down, but I am committed.
HERE'S TO BEING SKINNY BITCHES IN 2011!
*Now, granted this is written by 2 vegans and while I'm not willing to go no animal products just yet, I certainly agree with their points.

4 comments
I have a pretty out of control sweet tooth as well. I've been known to bake an entire cake just because I need to eat a piece right then and there. Or bake 40-50 cookies so I can have 1...then I eat the remaining 39-49 over the next 3 days. I've also eaten entire pints of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting. I've found that if the sugar simply isn't around, I can't eat it. Sometimes it feels like an addiction, so not buying it or keeping it around is hard. But earlier this year I tried a small experiment: to see if I could ween myself off of sugar. It works, but it takes a lot of discipline, and a lot of not eating sugar. My goal is to end the cravings so I don't need it anymore. I'm going to be reasonable and not assume I can go cold turkey. But I'm really going to see if one can no longer have a taste for sugar. Like with drug addiction, I think they say you need to take up a hobby or interest to keep your mind off of it. Maybe I'll start knitting.
ReplyDeleteMy only advise: Find some exercise that is about more than just exercise. Because, let's be honest, exercise is not fun. But if it's about winning, or nature, or exploring (or in my case, fighting, since I started kickboxing) suddenly it's just what you do, not what you do to get skinny. I'm terrible about working out because it's "good for me." I'm great at working out when there is a different/bigger reason for the activity. :) Good luck with everything Katie! You can do whatever you set your mind to!
ReplyDeleteYay Katie! You'll always be a skinny bitch in my eyes! ------- TIFF------
ReplyDeleteLove, the blog! Coffee or not, that's hard! Let's go skinny bitch!
ReplyDelete