Numbered Days

7:47 PM

All year I have known I was in school, getting a degree in Ed. Leadership. I have known that I would be applying for jobs in the leadership rehlem but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I really realized what that meant.

There I was...teachin' my kids, doin' our thing...I didn't even notice my boss walk in until a bit after he was in there. Kept teachin' my kids and doin' our thing. It was a pretty lame lesson if I do say so myself. Reviewing for a test and not even in a fun way. White boards. Blah.

When he had seen what he needed to, we started chatting for a bit. He gave me some good tips about my teaching (yes, former admin of mine...good advice and I just took it. I didn't ask for research. I didn't argue, I just took it).

Here's what else he said, "Katie, I know your days in this classroom are numbered, so you need to soak up every second of this, because it will never be like this again."



As I walked back into my room, I had tears in my eyes because sometimes I forget how much I love this job, these kids.

I can't believe that I will soon begin my next chapter. I will miss it so much.

I will miss...
* Morning handshakes that tell me exactly how they're feeling when they walk in our room.
* Class chants about the importance of college, said with enthusiasm and belief in their voices.
* Community Meetings where I learn so much about my kids.
* Academically apathetic students turning into kids who are super excited to be in school, in one lesson.
* Friendship Soup Day where all of my kids work together for a common goal.
* Warm Fuzzies on Valentine's Day where you can feel the love as soon as you walk in the door.
* The minute I watch a kid who doesn't think he's smart "get it."
* Meeting with Kindergarten Buddies
* E-mails from former students...do Principals still get those?
* Brain Gym before tests
* Tracking folders when kids graph how much they've improved throughout the year on each test
* Kids "arguing" books or math or Chess.
* Big hugs from the parents of former students
* Kids making fun of me...to my face (is that a weird thing to miss?)
* Hearing a kid tell me they hate me 15 times a day to telling me only twice a day...to crying on the last day.
* Reading "Oh the Places You'll Go" 3 times a year.
* Stealing ideas from amazing teachers

Oh how I will miss it because of every part of my body was born to teach.


So, when my kid bullies another kid for the 10 millionth time in year OR when the girl "forgets" her homework again OR when they're so noisy my eardrums hurt...remind me...I love this job and it will be done before I know it.

None of us will do our jobs forever. I hope you have a job you love and I hope you can try, along with me, to stay in the moment and enjoy it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers