Foster Journey 6: Updated FAQs

9:14 PM

Hi All,
If you follow this closely, you might be wondering if you missed Foster Journey 5.  You didn't.  It's in the Draft folder contemplating whether it will become public.

I thought I'd update with some questions for those who ask and, more, for those who might not ask.

Are you adopting him?
No, he has a mother who loves him dearly and I'm sure all mothers will do whatever they are capable of to get their kids back.  With that said, if there came day that severance was filed and he was up for adoption, I'd fight hard for him.

What's the plan?
Court plans in Arizona are always reunification.  So, basically, the parents are put on a reunification plan which is a checklist of things they need to do in order to get their kids back.

If they do all the things in the 15 month time frame, they get their kids back.
If they do a couple of the things, they get more time to keep making progress.
If they don't do any of the things, the court could move forward with severance.

That's what is on paper.  What happens in court always comes down to the judge.

Is his mom completing the steps of her reunification plan? 
I don't know.  That's the real answer.  I am only privy to information about my kiddo, not about the case.

I want more info and background on his story. 
Me too ;) Ha!  I learn more every day but every foster parents wants "the whole story" and even though I know more than most foster parents get to know, I wish I knew more.

How's he doing?
Depends on the day.  Some moments, like any kid.  Some moments, just like a trauma kid-second worst kid at foster camp bad...and that's bad.  I will tell you that he's made quite a bit of progress in the past few months and everyone who works with him, especially those who "knew him before" are so proud of him.

What are your days like?
We have lots going on all the time.  Thank God for our calendar that keeps it all straight.  On a monthly basis we have: CFT Meetings (where the whole team comes together), lots of time with his behavior coach, Case Worker Visits (these are the people who work for DCS who make sure he is safe and being taken care of), Licensing Worker visits, swim lessons, camp or school, visits with his family.  Soon we will add flag football and few more meetings to our schedule...because we were getting a little bored :)

Is it weird going from no kids to having him? 
It was at first and now, there are many days that I forget I'm a "foster mom" and feel like he's always been here.

What does he call you? 
Katie and sometimes Mom.  The other day I heard him talking to his friend and he said, "My mom is an Assistant Principal."

(Not a question) You're such a saint for doing this.
Listen, most of you know me in real life and you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I am NO saint.

Is he attached to you?
Very.  He'd never say it because nice things are hard for him to say, but he loves me completely and is terrified that it all might end or that I might "give him away." My opinion matters a lot to him.  Although sometimes I wonder if it's my opinion or my ability to take away his technology time that really matters!

Are you attached to him? 
I'll let you go ahead and work that one out ;) Someday, when I can do it without crying, I'll try and put it all into words.




Let me know if you have other questions or the things you say behind my back-other than "she's crazy."

Love you all!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers