Tattoo Dos and Don'ts (Part II)
8:12 PMThere's a 2nd episode to the "Katie is so crappy at getting tattoos" story...
DO go to a Reputable Artist
I totally did that this time. When I used to Crossfit (pause for a moment to remember what a BAMFette I used to be), there were about 6 of us who always went to the same class. One of the guys told me his tattoos for a living.
LPIMH: Oh, yeah. I need a tattoo artist. I'll call his shop.
I called his shop one day and said, "Hey can I get in to see him on Thursday." (It was Monday). "Ummm," she replied with distain, "He's booked at least a year out and he only does big pieces (she actually used a tattoo term that meant big pieces but I don't remember it).
As it turns out, he's THE tattoo artist. He's won, like, a bazillion awards and is amazing.
So, I booked for someone else in his shop because he only hires other high quality artists.
DO know exactly what you want BEFORE you scheduled a Tattoo
Real conversation between Tom and I:
Me-I think I figured out the tattoo I want. It's super cute. I saw it on Pintrest.
Him-Text it to me.
Me-(Send him this) with this text: I'm just not sure what words to get because I want it to say something.
Him-Hmmm, why don't you have them write, "I'm a Basic Bitch."
(Call Tom)
Me-What?! No way.
Him-Katie, please google this right now: Dandelion with birds tattoo and if it gets less than 5 hits, I'll take it back.
Me-(Google it) I don't want to talk to you anymore
Him-How many? Tell me right now. By the way, are you wearing your leggings and Ugg Boots and holding a Pumpkin Spice Latte while you're doing this?
Me-I hate you
Him-You better cancel that appointment until you're ready to get a real tattoo or I'm not going to be your brother anymore.
So, I sat at my kitchen table with a pen and wrote out all the things I love and wanted to include:
- The birds. I just liked the way they looked. I don't LOVE birds.
- The ocean. My favorite place
- Love
I call the Tattoo Artist. "So, I'm not going to get the dandelion." "Oh my God. Thank you," he exhales. "Here's what I like, can you draw something?" He was very excited to do that. I mean, as excited as men with tattoos all over their face, neck and hands get.
DO Speak Up
Remember how I can't even say no to Tam at the nail salon? Well, I shouldn't be able to get tattoos.
I don't know the end of this story but no you shouldn't.
I liked what he drew if it was going in a sticker book or a bumper sticker but not for my body.
I didn't tell him. I just let him put it on my body. Then, when he placed it, I didn't like it. It didn't follow the lines of my body. As in, if it's near my shoulder, I want it to kind of follow the shape of the shoulder. It didn't. I still wasn't sure I wanted those words, even though I picked them out. I didn't love the font.
I didn't say any of that.
I let him tattoo me anyway because I didn't want to make him mad or annoyed.
Is this post for real? You LET someone stick a needle in you over and over and put something permanent on your body because you didn't want to offend him? You're embarrassing.
The work is beautiful. He did a really nice job tattooing what he drew.
![]() |
| I'm not that good at taking pictures |
![]() |
| 7th attempt. That's as good as it's going to get. |
I'm 0 for 2. So, seriously, does anyone want me to go with them to get their next tattoo?



1 comments
It seems like listening to your brother would be a good first step for pretty much any decision you may ever need to make.
ReplyDelete