Instant Gratification
6:57 PMHave you ever heard of that experiment with the kids and marshmallows?
I can't remember which behaviorist did it or how it went exactly but it has to do with kids and marshmallows. I think they put marshmallows in front of kids and said, "You can have 3 marshmallows now or 10 later." Then they left the room and watched what they did and years later looked at those same kids and the kids who ate the marshmallows right away had a tough time with delayed gratification. Psychologists? Studious Friends, am I on the right track?
I would have eaten the marshmallows right away.
![]() |
| I should probably read this book |
When I was little my allowance would barely hit my hands before I spent it. Meanwhile my friend, Sweet Little Lizzy (Lizzy was the nicest girl in the world...still is probably), would save hers until she had hundreds of dollars.
Sidenote: She wasn't ALWAYS perfect. One night, when we were five, she was eating over at our house and my mom said, "Lizzy, go and call Tom down for dinner." She yelled, "Tom, get your ASS down here for dinner!" My parents died. The world's most well behaved child just cussed in our house. Come to think of it, it's probably because she had heard MY parents say it, not hers. Forever the positive influence, those Cartiers.
I have attempted the Dave Ramsey plan whose motto is, "Live like nobody else so you can live like nobody else," about fifty times (and when I say 'tried' I mean 'thought about doing'). I do really great when I wake up and am getting ready, until have to go to Starbucks. Save money? Like, forever? And pay off all my debts? Yeah, no.
![]() |
| I'm so immature |
Don't even tell me that you would RATHER eat an apple than a piece of cake.
PUNCH. You know why!
Don't tell me you LOVE vegetables and really could just "live on them."
PUNCH. You know why.
You know what I love? Quesadillas and popsicles and brownies and cake. In fact, I just want to live in a room full of sugar and quesadillas. Oh but not you because you LOVE heathy food?
PUNCH. You. Know. Why.
I have been eating heathy for four days and I'm not skinny yet.
Stupid, stupid delayed gratification can kiss it. Where's my quesadilla?
Ok fine, I'll give it one more day. Look at me, growing up before your very eyes.




0 comments