A Love Like That
7:52 PMI have a confession to make.
Isn't that what you always do on here?
It's embarrassing.
Tom and Danielle moved to Colorado...and I'm sad. I'm already miss them so much. I have this enormous fear that my relationship with Philip and Lily is going to change. It's so ridiculous and irrational but I can't make it go away. I'm so scared they are going to get so, so close with their fabulous aunts and uncles in Colorado and completely forget about Aunt Katie. And it makes my heart hurt.
I mean, the logical side of me says, "That's not how love works. You love people different. Relationships are different." It's weird because I don't have any of the same fears as far as my relationship with Tom and Danielle go. I am so secure in knowing that we will be "us" forever and ever. And they will always be so, so close to the rest of their family too.
So, why is it different with the kids? I've reminded myself of that a thousand times it won't be, but they really have an amazing family in Colorado. A family that values family and really enjoys being around one another.
And, really, I don't want their relationship. I want my relationship, that I have with Philip and Lily, the same relationship-forever.
And I know what you're gonna say, "Katie, of course they would never forget you. You're a great aunt." I am. I am a great aunt. There are a lot of things I really suck at (climbing ropes, walking without tripping, saying no to cookie dough) but Aunting (a new verb...I think I like it)? I make this look gooood (Say that sentence like Will Smith from that movie about killing giant aliens, er bugs)
Those kids have been blessed with lots of great aunts and great uncles.
And I know it's a different kind of love.
Similar to when I have a class and at the end of each year I really think, "I'm never going to love another class like this," and then the next year comes along and I love them in a whole different way.
Or like when Tom and Danielle were afraid they weren't going to love "the next kid" as much as they loved Philip but then Lily was born. Six pounds, eleven ounces of pure personality...and their hearts just grew. And, today, I bet it would be difficult to remember what life felt like before her.
It's a different kind of love. A love like that. A love like no other. A relationship like no other. No duplicating or replacing. How lucky are we that love multiplies like that.
And I can re-freaking-lax and be secure in the fact that some bonds are a little to thick to be shaken.
So...
I'll give myself the pep talk I know Tom and Danielle would give me.
From Danielle: I knew you were feeling this way. (Because she psychically always knows my thoughts). They love you so much. They love all their aunts and uncles and have such a special and different bond with each of them.
From Tom...and from Tom I would use the term "pep talk" loosely. Perhaps Tough Love Yell would be more apropos: Really? Really? You're ridiculous.
I'm ridiculous...not quite as scared anymore. Gotta love




0 comments