My Brother
10:27 AMI'm writing this blog for three reasons...
1. Tom says, on a regular basis, "You know what your blog needs? More stories about me." #realmature
2. It's National Siblings Day
3. I'm so bad at so many areas of my life but in sibling relationships, I excel-we excel. Here are some lessons I have learned along the way.
10 Things I Know for Sure...
10. Laugh
My brother has an incredible ability to make every situation funny.
His very best friend, Hank, died last weekend and he's so sad. He misses his boy so much and as I talked to him on the phone, through his tears, he says, "We're getting Hank cremated and we're going to sprinkle him at the beach. How embarrassing. We're so white that we are getting our dog cremated and taking a trip to sprinkle his ashes."
9. Make Friends
Watching him talk to people still amazes me.
Tom makes new friends everywhere he goes. He's genuinely interested in everyone, makes conversations and people love him. It's impressive.
Some people are good at making quick friends but not that great at keep those around for a long time. My brother still has such close relationships with his friends that, even though he's not on social media (except when he hijacks mine), at least seven of his closest guys called or text him on the day Hank died-speaks volumes of those relationships.
8. Talk
We talk about everything...everything.
Scared you're never going to get married? Let's talk about it.
You're too fat? Let's talk about it (and then he takes on the job as my Life Coach and makes me go for a run)
You want a new job? Let's talk about it.
You're pissed at me? Let's talk about it.
Your story is boring? Let him know ;)
We are real-ALL. THE. TIME.
7. Fight
Fight it out. Figure it out. Move on. I have lots of other blogs like this but at the end of the day, we learned to "put it all out there," from our Mom.
Sometimes I think I fight the most with the people I trust the most to be there. I have been wrong about this in the past but with Tom, it's always true. I know that he is, probably subconsciously, this way with me. He knows that no matter what he says or how shitty he is, I will be there-always.
6. Have Fun
I don't know anyone who can make a trip to the grocery store or gas station as fun as my brother. He invents games like impromptu volleyball in the middle of the asile, "Here's $3, go and buy something for me that I will love (in the Dollar Store)," and once he posted an ad that I was selling a goal on Craig's List (remember that one ;) ).
Tom Cartier is the happiest person I know and can have fun anywhere. He never takes anything too seriously. I think we could all use a little more of that.
5. Speak Silently
Your childhood shapes who you are. Next to me in the back seat, sharing the 20 piece of chicken nuggets and McDonald Land Cookies because Mom said, "It's a waste of money to buy the Happy Meal," was my brother. We drew pretend lines to divide the back seat in half and learned how to fight silently so Dad didn't "pull that car over."
And now... so many years later, some of our best conversations are silent-a secret language that we can perfected.
4. Show Up
Show up to Skype with the kids when:
- Get new earrings
- Lose their dogs
- Take a big test
- Have a hard homework question
- Need to read a book
- Their aunt just needs to see their faces
Show up for Grandma and Grandpa's funerals.
Show up for big birthdays.
Show up for baby showers.
Make the phone calls.
Send the texts.
Show up.
I always show up for him and he always shows up for me-for our family. Every single time. If we have to rearrange schedules to make it happen, we make it happen.
3. Laugh...again
It's that important. My loudest laughs come from conversations with my brother. He's my kind of funny.
2. Speak in Tongues
It's that part of a relationship, with anyone, the best? Where 85% of your conversation is in those inside jokes-the things you only say to each other and usually don't even realize you're saying because it's just so much a part of that relationship.
- Rotten fruit - Clear your history - Aside from the number of people in the Niagra Falls area, have you ever been laid by anyone around here? - Hi Dolphin - Your team - Hashtag Disneyfit - Max, calm down - What you're doing is socially unacceptable - Keepin it gangsta - Call Kevin - Vienna sausages - Losers quote-try again tomorrow - awkward family photos - unintentional porn - get on my team! - Tropical Sno - Eddies - "Did you just try and punch me?" - In 1814, we took a little trip... - Di-nee-land - 1/2 D.
1. Support for Life
Life can get hard and get lonely sometimes. It's nice to know that, no matter what, I will ALWAYS have someone in my corner-even if I do have to remind him to get on my team sometimes.
To my first friend and first enemy, Happy Siblings Day!
You, my brother, are my favorite human; the funniest person I know and the best dad I have ever seen.










0 comments