Why Would Anyone Choose to Teach?
9:16 PMWhy in the hell would anyone in their right mind choose to do a job where they will be poor forever?
Summers off? Who gives a shit…I’m so broke that when I have time off, I can hardly afford to sit in my house.
And, ladies, I hope you’re already married because and the most action I get inside the school halls is when a kid happens to break an arm and I walk by the firefighters on my way to lunch…which, in 9 years, has happened 3 times…3 excellent times.
And last week…last week 2 parents yelled at me, 1 of which was cussing. And one of my students told me he hated me and wished he had a new teacher. And when I asked the students to write the characteristics of an exemplary teacher on a sticky note, one of them wrote: fun and calm and NOT YOU. And Topher’s desk was right next to my desk and he gets his shit all over the floor and eats breakfast as well as my 9 month old niece.
And last week I got a new student who hates everyone and glares at me for 7.5 hours every day. And I got another new student whose discipline record is so long it needs binding, not a staple.
And my kids bombed their Reading test. And I had a meeting with my student’s parents that lasted until 7pm…and didn’t get paid a dime for it. And I taught every freaking day from 8:30 in the morning until 4:10…and then went to bus duty.
Why would anyone choose to be a teacher?
Because…you know what else happened last week?
And that kid who told me he hated me participated more in his lesson than he ever has and was beaming with pride when he got to wear his Student of the Month shirt. Then he walked up to a new student and told her that she was in charge of her attitude…because that’s what I used to tell him everyday.
When that kid wrote that mean note to me…20 other ones wrote, someone with high expectations who loves her kids…you. And the next day, he looked at me and knew I knew he wrote it…and gave me the biggest, most genuine hug ever.
And this week, that kid whose desk is right next to mine switched schools…and I cried because I worry about whether everyone will be as kind to him as my kids are. And I cried because he’s a better eater than he was when he came into my room. And I cried because I know that our school was a good place for him…and I was making a difference in his life…and now he’s gone…and I only knew him for a month…but if I live 100 years, I will never forget him.
That’s why I teach.
That new student who hates the world is one of my brightest kids and when I told her, today, that she was absolutely beautiful but when she was rude to other people she looked so ugly, she listened…and she was nice for the rest of the day.
My other new student…with the book bound discipline record that could wallpaper the school…I’ve known him since before he could walk. I taught his sister 9 years ago and went to her high school graduation after she got pregnant in high school, coming from a school where the dropout rate is 50%...I was at her graduation. She was the first in her family. I expect big things from her brother…perhaps he’ll be the first to go to college. Yesterday another kid stole a CD and gave it to him and he didn’t take it because he didn’t want to be a part of it…such progress and he’s only been there 2 days.
That Reading test they bombed…they only bombed part of it. On the other part of it, the district average was that 46% of them met the standard and in my class 90% of them did.
During my parent meeting I cried when I told them how much I love their kids. Then parents hugged me and thanked me for loving their kids and always expecting their best…and that was worth more than money can buy.
I could stand here for 12 hours and tell you why I do this job. I could tell you stories of kids who have grabbed my heart and taken pieces with them each time they leave my room.
I hate the beginning of the year. I hate teaching kids all of my procedures. I hate that I have to get to know all these little strangers. I hate that I have to work so hard to make them love books. The hours are longer than ever in the beginning of the year. And at the end of every single year, I cry. I cry because my family is leaving and I know that class will never come again. And every year I say, “That was the best class I’ve ever had.” and I genuinely mean it.
This job, these kids are worth every second spent and every tear ever shed on their behalf.
The world needs amazing teachers who are passionate about what they are doing. That’s you. This profession is the greatest profession in the world. Every minute of every single day, you are changing the future. Your words, your lesson, and your passion are powerful. Thank you for choosing to teach.
2 comments
Katie thank you for all you do everyday! I miss your passion for kids!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Who is Anonymous??!
ReplyDelete