Be Still my Swollen Heart
8:57 PMMy nephew is smart.
Not a little bit smart, freakin brilliant.
I wouldn't be surprised if he made it into MENSA. Do you "make it" into MENSA? Is it even called MENSA? Those super smart people?
Obviously, he doesn't take after his aunt in intelligence ;)
His parents would never mention it because they would sound like they were bragging but I don't give a !@#$. I'll mention it.
Real mature Katie.
I said it when he was so small..."This kid is WAY beyond his years with his knowledge." Tom and I argue over how he got that smart. He thinks he was born that way. I think it's because he was read to every single day since the day he was born. Who's right?
Obviously you are Katie. You're always right.
Thanks Blog Crew, I agree!
Discussing which planets we could go to and not got to based on their temperature when he was two years old.
Reading that same year
Chapter books starting in Kindergarten
Flying through at least a book a day today...the boy is a literary genius.
Last week we decided to have a Skype Book Club.
I said, "What book should we read?"
"Um, how bout Captain Underpants Number 11?"
"Um, how bout no? Can we think of a different book?
"Why," he says obviously annoyed that I don't value his favorite books.
"Well, Philip, I just am not sure I'll understand #11 if I haven't read 1-10. Besides, perhaps we can push your reading a bit since you read Captain Underpants in a day. I heard of a book called How to Ear Fried Worms. What about that?"
Dad (Tom) pipes in, "What?! That sounds like a great book! I wanna read that!"
(Silent high five to Dad for giving his stamp of approval)
So, it was settled. We were reading How to Eat Fried Worms.
Amazon Prime = My best friend.
Book is there in 2 days, 1st Book Club Meeting 2 days later.
I wish I could have taken a picture of him when he Skyped me.
There he is, laying on the ground with his face in his hands, and a giant smile full of those 6 year old teeth that are still a bit too big for his mouth-the cutest thing ever.
"Aunt Katie, I CAN'T BELIEVE HE ATE A NIGHT CRAWLER! That's disgusting and WHY was he dancing around all crazy like he really liked them?!"
We continue with our "meeting," with my mouth agape because I can't even process the fact that this first grader is comprehending and responding to this book and his excitement level is contagious...and 3 minutes later we finish up.
Lessons from Book Club Meeting #1:
That boy is so smart.
Our next push is the nuances of language (ie: Billy coaxed his dogs into the igloo. <---- "What do you think this sentences means Philip?" He says, "I have no idea." "Do you really think they live in a real igloo?" "Yes, I do." So...we will work on that part.
He's still only 6 so our "meetings" only last 3 minutes max.
Forever and ever I will have a very special bond with this boy. I don't know what it is but just thinking about him brings tears to my eyes.
Hashtag: A love like that
Hashtag: Be still my swollen heart





0 comments