Cross-Get My Ass Kicked-Fit

5:19 PM

I've had a few friends in the past few years talk to me about Crossfit. They said it's super hard-core and that I'd be a good fit for what they have to offer. So, when an old friend of mine told me to check out the open house they were having I summoned (bribed with Sugar-Free Rockstar) my friend, who's always down to get her ass kicked in the gym, and told him I'd go.

He said he'd take "special care of me," and I got scared. Scared as in immediate flashbacks of the restaurant we used to work in together. Scared as in flashbacks of me being slow to type in my orders on the computer, or slow to get his drinks for customers, or slow to seat him...and him ready to get me back for annoying him day in and day out through our college years. Though, I had committed and I know him and I knew it would be WAY scarier to NOT show up than to just go.

So, in the morning, Sarah and I headed to Crossfit. I got there first and the girl at the door was super nice...and nicely told me I was in the wrong place and gave me directions to the right place. So, now I was freaked out about working my ass (that hasn't been worked in weeks months) AND the fact that I was going to be late.

Fast-forward through Sarah and I on the phone, "Is it on Frank Loyd Wright? Where are you? I don't know where we're going," for the next 10 minutes. Fast forward to us walking in late to SCOTTS-FREAKIN-SDALE Cross-Fit. I make it a point to NEVER go to Scottsdale clubs because those people are just too hot for my blood, but apparently Sarah and I just walked in to where the Scottsdale kids hang out during the day, in this hot freakin' gym, in minimal clothing. All those hot, non-eating, beautiful Scottsdale girls. All those hot, non-eating, beautiful Scottsdale boys...and me, who eats and does NOT live in a gym.




Oh well, eff it. I'm here and now I have to show them I came to play. So, we stretch as a group. PS. I was hoping the Scottsdale girls would be bitches...no such luck. People opened up the circle to make sure we had room, they chatted with us, they smiled. UGH, annoying, hot AND nice.

After the stretching we separated into 2 groups. Bad asses, and my group. The Bad Asses were doing pull ups, and not just dudes either, girls too! My group was doing some sort of modified pull up on some rings and I was doing the modifidest (I made that word up) version. 3 sets of 10. Done and done.


Kettle bells were next. I was trying to do more than they told us all the while thinking to myself, "Maybe I should be in the advanced group. These people are moving a bit slow." Next up, wall ball. Same as before. Justin said, "Slow down. This isn't your workout." I thought, "I'm sure the work-out will be more of the same. Seriously, I'm awesome. I don't know why everyone says this is so hard."

And then the workout started..."So, you need to do 18 Kettle Bells, 21 Wall Balls, a 200 Meter run and you need to do all of it 3 times as fast as you can." Me, "WHAT-THE-F-U-C-K." Here's a quick, fun fact. Even though I was scared, I know how this shit works. Those gangster dudes who run these places HATE complaining and HATE quitting. How do I know this? Because I used to work out with some gangster dudes and they were the same. And my family doesn't do the bitching and moaning about hard work. So, I, inherently can be pretty gangster, when necessary, if I do say so myself.

So we go...and I do it. I Kettle Bell. I Wall Ball..and then we have to run and I feel like I AM GOING TO DIE...because I hate running (and when I said I was doing Couch to 5K, I did...for 2 days). People were zooming past me but I kept hearing, "Come on. You got this." So, I had it and I ran.

Ok, 1st set done. 2 more to go. I'll spare you every detail, but I finished and I felt like I was going to throw up. Now, I have thrown up while working out before but it was always because I ate too soon before I worked out. This was different. This was my body saying, "What the hell did you just do to me?!" The nice thing was that Sarah (who is WAY skinnier than me) also felt like she was going to throw up and that made me feel excellent.


Final Thoughts:
I love Crossfit. It's WAY more my style than Bikram Yoga (although I WOULD like to be more Zen). I need Crossfit to be cheaper, like $24 a month would be good.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. YAAAA!!! I'm super glad you loved it!! I heard that Scottsdale CF is expensive. My gym, Chaparral CF is cheaper due to the fact that they cater to non-profit and its in a church, but its not as big as Scottsdale CF. Let me know if you want to check it out. I know their starting another set of fundamentals classes at the beginning of August.
    :-) Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Followers