Guest Blogger, Tom

8:27 PM


 Kathryn Anne Cartier, my big sister, my sounding board, occasionally my biggest critic, but always my biggest supporter. Happy birthday Katie, I think the world of you. A few of my favorite Katie memories:


Riding in the backseat of the station wagon from Irvine to Phoenix on one of our numerous family trips we created an invisible line in the backseat to separate our respective sides. It was generally around Blythe when the boundary line became less of an agreed upon border and more of a demilitarized zone. The slightest breach of the DMZ was grounds for a swift and oftentimes violent rebuttal against the offending invader. The occasional slap sound delivered to the border crossing invader would be accompanied by yelps of pain and threats of reprisal. About this time the front seat would get sick of the bickering and declare the backseat a silent zone. At this point stealth warfare would be initiated over the location of the DMZ (which I still believe was around a 65/35 split in Katie’s favor).
            Eventually an all-out offensive against her much younger, kinder and sensitive brother would involve Katie with her back against her door. She would use her freakishly strong legs to pin her innocent brother against his door and attempt to crush not only his rib cage, but his soul. Although they were traumatic to sweet, young Tom, these events inevitably ended in laughter. By the time we passed that weird old dog racing track on I-10 coming into Phoenix the backseat was once again peaceful and the DMZ had disappeared.



Then there was the great Cartier Family Reunion circa 1993 in Michigan. To Katie’s horror Tom had a great time at the reunion and was being his regular awesome self, having recently purchased most of a firework stand and a slingshot. Katie meanwhile was suffering the perils of middle school teenage angst and was horrified at what important details of Irvine life she was missing. I was not particularly fond of Katie during this trip and was not overly kind to her. As I mentioned, I was busy being awesome.
            While swimming in one of the many lakes that we visited on our trip we encountered some kids that had a water slide on their dock into the lake. I asked if we could use it, to which the common lake trash made a snarky and annoying reply. After repeatedly making smart remarks to Katie and I, it became clear that the slide would not be shared. I started to swim away when I saw Katie’s hand shoot out of the water grab the boy by the hair and dunk his head under. She held him under long enough to make her point, only she was permitted to pick on Tom. The lake trash got out of the water crying and ran to their house. As we swam away laughing I knew my big sister would always have my back.

Amongst my favorite memories of my big sister, you know the school teacher, was watching her funnel Sparxx Malt Liquor through a beer bong in my kitchen. This type of debauchery generally only takes place on the first night of a vacation when Katie, Danielle and I forget that we are not 22 years old and make regrettable decisions. Katie, no school teacher in history parties as hard as you do (and is still in bed around 9:00 pm). My big sister can do it all, from kicking-ass at the school to partying in the kitchen, Katie you are a good time!


Fast forward through the years and my sister has been a constant in my life, through regular phone calls, visits, and FaceTime conversations she is always there. Katie, you are always available to listen to me vent, to provide both solicited and un-solicited advice and to share so many memories with. I value our strong relationship and think that you are an awesome human being. My children adore you and the relationship between you and my wife is incredible. You are truly one of my favorite human beings in the world and I am honored to call you my sister.

 

-       Tom Cartier



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers