Dear First Year Teacher

4:24 PM

Dear First Year Teacher,

Welcome to the best profession on the planet and, no, I don't mean what used to be the best profession before _________________ (insert political education swing of the moment here).

Welcome to the best profession on the planet FOREVER.

You get to teach kids!

As an Instructional Coach, there's so much that I want you to know.  I wish you already knew all there was to know about best teaching practices and content-based pedagogy.  It would be fabulous if you were already an expert at unpacking the standards, fully understood minds on engagement and already understood that excellent classroom management is half the battle. Yes, it would make my job so much easier...and much less fun because I love working on that with you.

So, here's what I want you to know as you begin your year...

5.  You are Always Supported
There is no question that our expectations of you are high, too high some may say.  Maybe that's true but every time we ask you to do something, we will support you.

We will be there to help you find beakers because your math lesson for tomorrow needs it.
We will order construction paper for you because you forgot to do it.
We will run to Walgreens to get that candy for the lesson you didn't remember to bring.
We will start breakfast with your kids when you're running late.
We will help you plan lessons that are so fun, your students will forget they are learning.
We will analyze data with you so that you can figure out why student misconceptions are there and what to do about it.
We will talk about your instruction so you know exactly what you're doing well and things that you could change.

Come and talk...cry, vent, yell.  We've done it too...and still do.  We will support you.



4.  It's Not a Thankless Job
People who say teaching is a thankless job are wrong.  You know what's a thankless job-being a night custodian.  Can you imagine cleaning up after kids all day and never hearing a thank you?  You will get accolades all the time, so watch for it.  It's that quick conversation after school with a parent who says, "What are you doing in your room?  My son won't put his books down now?"  It's a Facebook post, years after a kid was in your room that says, "My teacher was so much fun and forced me to learn." Of course you won't be thanked all the time and kids will hate you sometimes but they way I see it, if they never get mad at you, you're doing it wrong.   Watch for all the thank yous, you'll see them.



3.  Seek Feedback 
The very best teachers I have ever seen are constantly seeking feedback.  They are reflective and willing to take a look at themselves and ask, "What else can I do?"

There was a teacher I used to work with who was a Master Teacher if I had ever seen one.  I swear the woman could get a rock to read.  She was in a new position that year so I got so excited when, for the first time, in years I had some actual feedback to give her other than, "Keep doing what you're doing.  I learn so much from you every time I'm in your room." After her lesson she comes in with a notebook and pen and says, "Ok, here's what I think I'm doing wrong..." and started listing everything.  Then I gave her some feedback, she wrote it all down and says, "Ok, give me more.  I want to hear everything I can fix."  Then, as if that wasn't enough, the NEXT DAY she began implementing everything...and to date she remains one of the very best teachers I have ever seen.  Feedback seeker.

None of us will ever have it all figured out.  We can always grow.  Continue to find those ways that you can grow.  Seek feedback from your students.  Seek feedback from your peers.  Seek feedback from your Leadership Team.  Reflect on your practice because it's the toughest job in the world if you want to be excellent at it.



2.  Believe They Can...and Make Them Do It
You can only be a great teacher if you truly believe kids can and them teach them how to do it and hold them accountable.  In fifteen years in education the teachers who move the most kids are the ones who wouldn't even dream of them "not being able to do that."  They are the ones who truly believe, "My kids can do anything," and then scaffold until they can...and they can.

It's kinda like "The Secret."  You'll find whatever you look for.



1.  Love Your Kids
There's nothing bigger than this.  Look into their eyes to hear the stories they aren't telling.  You have no idea what's going on in their worlds...unless you ask.  Fully invest yourself in that group of kids and no matter what happens, you will always love your job.

Talk TO them like you love them.
Talk ABOUT them like you love them.
Love them.


Cheers to your first year in the best profession in the world.  You will change more lives than you will ever know.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Love it! Great post! As you said as well a little differently, I think the single most important practice we can implement is self reflection. Without that, we are stagnant. I love that you share not having to know everything. The attitude that "we know it all already" leads to a downward spiral of defensiveness. I think teachers have to shift their mindset of what teachers are to researchers, designers, and even more importantly, learners. Your teachers and students are lucky to have you, Katie. Thank you for inspiring greatness in our profession!

    ReplyDelete

Followers