Bikram Insanity
3:50 PMI gave up my Bikram V-Card today. Yeah, that's right, I did it. As with most first times, it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped it would be but I'm sure it will get better.
Here are some mental notes I made during the 90 minutes of hell class.
1. It's hot.
No, it's really freakin' hot. I walked in and thought, "Hmmm, this isn't that hot." I was secretly patting myself on the back for being so tough when all my friends, who have talked about it, have said how hot it was. So I sat and waited for class to start. Then the instructor came in and went to the thermostat. LPIMH: Why is she going over there? Then the heat kicked on. WTF?! It's gonna get hotter. It got a LOT hotter.
2. Carpet??!?!?
Who was the genius who designed this place to have carpet on the floor?!?! It stinks in here. LPIMH: Maybe it's my imagination. Maybe that's the smell of carpet. I'm sure nobody actually sweats on the carpet. That's why we have towels and mats. During class: We sweat ON the carpet. People, myself included, were DRIPPING on the carpet. SICK! I wonder how much sweat is in that carpet. Ugh, let's not think about it anymore.
3. L-O-N-G
It's 90 minutes. That's as long as most movies. Ok, not as long as Schindler's List, but they have an intermission in there. That class is only 20 minutes shorter than Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's 6 minutes shorter than Juno. Ok, I'll stop googling the running times of movies. You get the point. It's a long damn time to be that hot.
4. So, I can't drink water whenever I want? I thought I was 30.
So the first "party time" (their term, not mine) which is the time you're ALLOWED to drink your water was 20 minutes in to class. Note to self: drink a lot of water BEFORE you go next time.
5. The teacher talks A LOT!
She talked for 90 minutes straight. For 90 minutes there were words coming out of her mouth. That's a whole lotta talking!
6. These people are RIPPED!
Men, ripped. Women, ripped. Men, in Speedo-like shorts, ripped. Women, in tie-up fancy colored bathing suit like bikinis, ripped. If this is what Bikram does to your body, I'll keep torturing myself.
7. I got "called out" at least 20 times.
"Ok, everyone put your hands under your heels and pull straight up. Katie (on a microphone on an elevated stage, no doubt), I actually need your hands under your heels." LPIMH: Yes. I heard you. Can you see me trying? It's not like I'm trying to be defiant. She said my name more than anyone in the class. I'm sure the other people were like, "Who the f*** is Katie and why did she come if she can't do anything?!"
8. It was actually really rewarding...when I was done...and home.
I felt awesome when I got home. I was shaking trying to walk to my car and driving was a bit dicey but when I got in my door, life was good. My body tingled like it was happy.
My body is happy. I'll be back tomorrow morning. Does it get easier? Will ALL of the instructors call me out? I'm never telling anyone my name again.

2 comments
I love it! I think you are amazing. YOU did the three day breast cancer walk and a triathalon and even harder, you teach sixth grade- you can do anything! xo
ReplyDeleteAwe, TC, you're awesome. You always have just the right words.
ReplyDelete