Goodbye Loma Linda

9:06 PM

4 months.
4 months, numerous glasses of wine, and a new school later, I'm ready to write this blog.

On my last day at Loma Linda, I got a box.  My Leadership team had planned a good-bye breakfast for me, and as my teachers streamed through, I got a thousand hugs and wiped my eyes for the thirtieth time that day.  Sad and grateful. 

I thought that was it and then my friend said, "Did you open the box?  You're going to love it."

Inside it was filled with letters from the people I have worked for years, and it was one of the best gifts I have ever received.  Heartfelt letters from teachers, my teachers that gave me way more praise than I ever deserved.

They told me I changed them, they said thank you for the years of hard and good conversations and that they will always be grateful that I made them feel successful, and I don't think I ever told them...

You changed me too. 

I started this job, as I start all jobs, terrible.

I very quickly learned that being a great teacher did not equal a great coach.  Even though I was terrible, I wanted to be better. 

So I watched. 

I watched their body language change when I was directing or giving advice to when I was truly listening to them and dialoging with them and not at them.  I listened to what they said about their days and made mental notes of how to support them through that tough month when everyone questions their career choice.  I researched the best ways to support these people who found their ways into my heart. 



Together, we learned from one another. 

These Loma Linda teachers taught me, over and over, how to be a better coach and a better person.  They have forever changed the trajectory of my career and the way I relate to my teachers. Thank you will never be enough. 

When I left Excelencia, I thought I would never love kids the way I loved those kids.  I didn't think I'd ever connect with teachers the way I connected with those colleagues...and then I did.  One teacher. One conversation at a time.  One laugh. One tear...at a time. 



And today, when I open that box for the tenth time, I am reminded just how much these people impacted my life. 

It was a very special time in a very special place that we built together.  It wasn't a job, it was home.  Thank you for making it just that.


And when they ask where I learned what I know, I tell them...it was from some phenomenal teachers who did whatever it took every single day.  Cheers to those teachers.  May you always know your worth and the way you are changing lives each day.  It was an honor to learn alongside you my teachers, my friends.

And may the next journey be just as sweet.




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Such a nice post and tribute to your teachers. I know whatever is next for you, you will love those people just the same...one conversation, one hug, one tear at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students find it useful, as they are able to prepare ahead not just for class, but for exams, as well. Intermediate I Year ts school books lay the foundation for all the question papers, assignments and projects given to Intermediate First Year students. TS Intermediate I Year Textbooks Telangana Intermediate I Year mostly for the language use ts textbooks from Telugu Akademi (Telangana State Board of Intermediate Educations). The Telugu Akademi publishes books of both languages, English and Telugu for the intermediate courses, on the basis of the Telangana State syllabus.

    ReplyDelete

Followers