2 Questions
1:29 PM96% of our students are on free and reduced lunch.
Some of our kids don't eat when they aren't at school.
They won't have a Christmas because they don't have any money.
I say these sentences so often that they have almost become meaningless. I've worked in the same neighborhoods for so many years that I have become a professional at teaching teachers "where our kids come from."
This conversation has happened a number of times in various forms but usually goes like this...
An exasperated teacher comes to me, "He didn't do his homework...again!"
"I hear that you're frustrated", I say, "but can you answer two questions about him for me? How many people live at his house and how many beds are there?"
"I don't know," says the brand new teacher who was raised in a neighborhood much like mine.
"Go find out and then come back."
"With her eyes wide the baby teacher returns, "7 and 2."
And our conversation about why he didn't do his homework comes to a close.
Because every time I look at a dirty child who has worn the same shirt four times in a row
or
pretend not to notice that the teacher gave a kid all of the extra snacks in their classroom to take home
or
listen to a girl tell me they won't have Christmas but what she really wants is a blanket because she gets cold at night
I look into their eyes ask the same two questions...
1. How many people live at your house?
2. How many beds do you have?
and gives me a gentle reminder of where I work...and a sense of gratitude.
I can't change where they live or that they may sleep on the ground, but I can send one e-mail and get that kid a new shirt, a new pair of shoes, or a sweater.
There are good people who donate to strangers and because our kids need it, we reap the benefits of numerous donations.
This year was a banner year for Christmas adoptions. One Facebook post and my family and friends came out in droves. The Walker Family filled my car and said, "We got everything on the list." The Bowker's had a stack of beautifully wrapped presents adorned with little candies on top. The Campbell Family text me to check on wish list items and sizes before bringing their gifts to school. The Cartier Family had the best looking gift bags with names attached to each one. The Koenig's came with me and was able to look into the eyes of kids who were thrilled and gave timid and thankful hugs to the stranger that helped make Christmas brighter. The Smith's hooked up with their daughter, who is the boss, to help a family in need. The Mazon's are headed to the house tomorrow to gift gifts for the second year in a row. Barbara, our Office Queen, made phone calls, found families, kept tons of paperwork straight and met my every demand when I said things like, "I need a family of 3 and I need small girls," or sent a last minute text, "Our 7th grader isn't going to have Christmas. We have get her a blanket."
This endeavor is not cheap and all of these people have children and families of their own but they can do a little more...so they do. Cheers to them and everyone who does anything selfless.
They don't do it for the thank you.
They don't post it on Facebook.
They just do.
Yesterday I left the confines of my safe little school. We are situated in a typical middle class neighborhood and I watch kids walk to school in the morning so I forget that they are not walking from the houses near school. I headed out , as Mrs. Claus, with our Officer to some of the homes where our students live.
I dropped off gifts to a family who lives in a tiny trailer-1 room, at the most. Four people came outside and dad was at work. Five people live in that space. We drove through one of the complexes that feed into our school. Kindergarteners ran past the obvious drug addicts that live near them to give us hugs and high fives. I peered down the way and said, "There's one of our 3rd graders doing homework on the ground outside." Our Officer says, "There at nine people who live there. That's probably where she does homework every day."
I was reminded again, I know such good people and and those gifts went to families in need.
If you haven't, yet, do something for someone else today.



0 comments