Not as Planned
7:47 PMNewsflash to the novice readers of Katie's blog: I'm a planner.
Completely non-exciting and very typical information for Katie's family and friends: I'm a planner.
Funtinerary? Every trip. Every vacation. Every time. Here's a great way to drive me completely insane when I ask what I should plan. "Nothing. We don't have a plan and we're not going to have a plan." LPIMH: WITAF (new acronym for: what in the actual fuck)?
Agendas at Meetings? Not only are they written but they are posted on the board and sent out prior to meetings, always with the caveat of: This is just tentative. I'm totally open to suggestions. That really means: This is set is GD stone and if you try and change anything or get us off track, I'll cut you. Just kidding(ish)...to all of the people I work with (and who evaluate me)!
Presenting during a Meeting? Always written out, always ends in deadlines and calendar invites because...is there any other way? I'm sure there is but we We? Ok, I call those "stir the pot meetings."
Everyone stands around the soup and says, "Hmm, that looks like it needs more celery?"
"I think we should add potatoes."
"I hope it tastes good."
"Let's just stir it and see how it looks then."
Meanwhile, nobody ever adds the celery, potatoes or EATS THE DAMN SOUP! In meetings I attend, we eat soup or, at the very least, make very specific plans to eat the soup every time.
Having a Dinner Party? Lists, lists, lists and post-its and more lists. Lists for what you need. Lists for times everything should be done. Posts on all ingredients and what they will be used for. Perhaps a list of games that will be played. Umm, Monica? Calm the eff down!
Life? Completely planned out. In case you just met me or have never read my blog before, my "plan" isn't going as planned.
Thus...after reading above, I have really nailed home the fact that I am, in fact, a planner. Thank you Kathryn, we had no idea before all those examples.
But...as it turns out, Life doesn't go as planned and because, either, God thinks He's funny or as the greatest display of irony, some of my favorite moments are the ones that didn't go as planned.
Driving: We drove from California to Arizona and back at least three times a year. We had a total routine, one which I will someday elaborate. Liar, you never go back and write about the things you say you will. Preview: Drive to Blythe. Stop at McDonald's. Dad's order: Quarter pounder with cheese, no ketchup. Mom's order: ? I can't remember. Kids order: 20 piece nuggets and large fries to share. Secret order: McDonald Land cookies for later. We even had a routine playlist.
The ride I remember the most: When Moddie the Aottie (short for automobile) broke down in Death Valley for HOURS, middle of the summer. We were sweating our actual faces off.
Hashtag: Didn't go as planned.
Thanksgiving: I was so thrilled for Tom, Danielle and the kids to come. We had big plans to go out for a girls night and head off to all of their favorite AZ spots. Everyone got sick. Lily got strep throat. Danielle got some sort of flu plague. Philip got strep throat. Katie got something plaguey. Tom stayed healthy. We laid around, cooking plans turned into baskets full of medicine, we quarantined off areas of the house and we still had a wonderful time.
Hashtag: Didn't go as planned.
Growing up: The routine was: Eat dinner, play a little, take a bath, read a book, bed. My favorite nights were the ones where we threw the routine out the window. Pancakes for dinner in the living room, on the big blanket? Yes. Skip the bath for a "jacuzzi bath" where Tom and I would dare each other to jump in the pool and swim to the deep end, even though we could get eaten by the giant shark that lived in there after dark.
Hashtag: Didn't go as planned.
Babies: My nephew decided to make his debut into the world 5 weeks early, on the 4th of July. I'll never forget getting a phone call from Danielle, "Umm, I think my water just broke but it couldn't have. We're going to the hospital to check but I'm sure I'll be back home. I'll keep you updated." Next call, from Danielle's sister, "Danielle is definitely in labor." We loaded up my Aunt Suzanne's bug and watched the fireworks as we drove into Denver to meet my nephew. If he had been born according to plan, I would have been back to work and wouldn't have been able to spend the next 7 days soaking up that baby and being with my sister.
Hashtag: Didn't go as planned.
Traveling: I was supposed to meet a friend on the way home from Nicaragua but it didn't happen. Rather than mope around my hotel room, I pulled my !@#$ together and headed down to the hotel bar. I met some new friends, drank plenty of wine, laughed a lot, and ended up having a fabulous night.
Hashtag: Didn't go as planned.
I'm beginning to think it's not the plans that go as planned that make up our life's memories, it's all those times that went awry.
Is your life going according to plan? No? Didn't think so. Mine either. Perfect is boring. I'm glad to be in the company of hot messes! However, please don't invite me to your meeting if you don't have an agenda. I have to have some boundaries.







0 comments