What if I'm Somebody?
7:29 PM
As a young girl, I had a picture of how my life would unfold.
Just like Mom and Dad's.
Grow up.
Go to college.
Meet the man of my dreams
Get married
Have babies.
It seems as the Universe has had other plans for me.
No man of my dreams.
No wedding.
No babies.
At least not yet.
And if I were being completely honest I would tell you that this causes more anxiety in my life than I ever thought possible because...well, because of all of the reasons you can imagine it would.
In my deep soul searching, prayers and research I began to think...maybe that's NOT my path. Maybe God wants me to change up the order or do something different entirely.
Being a teacher where I have been for the past fourteen years, I have seen lots and lots of kids who need homes. I have been in my classroom when the front office calls because CPS needs to talk to one of my kids. Kids have left my room and never returned because they were taken from their homes. I've read horror stories about the foster system, an overloaded, understaffed and underfunded system that needs parents.
What if I was that parent?
Do single people become foster moms?
How does it work?
Could I do it?
I have spent endless hours doing research to answer these questions-on the internet and in my heart and my conclusion right now?
I don't know.
I don't know if I could handle falling in love with a kid only to watch them go,
but I might be willing to find out.
I don't know if I could be what a little boy or girl needs,
but I could be better than what they have now.
I don't know if I'd know how to deal with all of the stuff that comes along with a child who has been taken from his or her home,
but maybe I could learn.
I don't know if I could find enough people around me to be that support system when things come up,
but I know good people so perhaps I could build I network.
I don't know if I'm ready to make that commitment,
but I know it's something that my heart spends time thinking about.
I don't know if being a foster mom is for me...
but it just might be.

0 comments