The Mystery Illness of 2013

8:00 AM

Lots of people keep asking for an update on how I'm feeling, etc so here is a brief  long-winded as usual synopsis...
If you don't wanna read all that, skip to the summary to determine whether I am dying or not.

1.  Had a stomach ache (Pain Level: 4)
2.  Picked up Tom from the airport (Pain Level: 5)
3.  Met up with his friend for dinner and didn't eat very much because my stomach hurt

4.  Next day: Went to the dr.  She prescribed Prilosec
5.  Next morning: Went to ER doubled over in pain (Pain level: 10)
6.  Got some fabulous IV pain meds that made me so calm (thinking about going back just to get those again)
7.  Went in for a CAT Scan and they put the Contrast Dye into my IV which made me go into anaphylactic shock.  I cried because I thought I might die and I'm actually not ready for that yet.  Hashtag: My brother was so amazing and wonderful sitting with me. Never seen him so compassionate in his life.  I really soaked it in while it lasted.
8.  CAT Scan said I have a hemangioma on my liver the size of a baseball and that was causing my pain. Hashtag: Liver hemangioma don't cause pain.  Hashtag: That doctor was a dumbass but I loved my nurse.
This is a hemangioma, just some skin and blood and stuff.


9.  Got discharged, raced home, got ready and went to Grandpa's funeral
10.  Next day pain came back with a vengeance (Pain level: 10)
11.  Told Tom I needed to go back to the ER-he had lost his sense of humor and compassion but packed up my laptop for me so I wouldn't get bored.  I dropped him off for his flight 5 hours early in case I needed to sit in the ER.  We decided I shouldn't go back and just tough it out.
12.  Went to 1st GI Specialist.  He told me I needed to see: a liver specialist because I could be bleeding from my liver and that could result in death.  I contemplated my life and all that I still have left to do and that my bedroom is messy and I can't die with a messy bedroom. He also said I needed to get an: ultrasound and endoscopy.  Hashtag: That doctor was a dumbass.
13.  Found out that GI Specialist was not in my network.  Hope I don't have to eat that cost.
14.  Saw another doctor (Pain level: 1).  He said nothing is wrong with my liver.  I could be my gallbladder or an ulcer.  Recommended an ultrasound and endoscopy.
15.  Found out I'll have to pay a LOT out of pocket for all this crap.  Hashtag: I regret selecting the lowest level of insurance

16.  Call my uncle who is an ER Doctor and someone I argue with every time I see him.  We don't always get along but I trust him implicitly with my health.  He's a damn good doctor.

He first gets upset that they are ordering so many tests and not listening to what I have to say.  It's not my gallbladder he surmises because of all I tell him about my symptoms.

He also says that whatever the endoscopy says, they will treat it the same way-Prilosec

The episode I had was called a Nutcracker Esophagus (he told me to Google it so I didn't think he made it up)

Told me to go to my Dr and get a test for H Pylori

17.  Cancelled all other appointments
18.  Went to my regular dr and she said the H Pylori test could come back with a false negative.  Just keep doing what I'm doing and to tell my friends and family I am allergic to X-Ray Contrast Dye.  Here I am telling you that.  If you're with me and I can't speak, tell them none of that because I'll probably die.  (Pain level: 0)

So, in summary:
I don't have a bleeding liver. 
I don't have gall stones. 
I could have an ulcer...but probably not.
My brother thinks I was just being dramatic about my pain.  Hashtag: I wasn't.
I could have H Pylori.
I am allergic to X-Ray Contrast Dye.
Nurses are amazing and don't get paid enough to deal with so much crap. 
A lot of doctors are sucky (the Bell Curve applies in every profession-even medicine) and I could do a better job diagnosing you on WedMD-call me, I'm really good at it. 


I'm fine and we can get back to our regularly scheduled program. Hashtag: Wanna donate to my bill paying fund?  Hastag: My SIL hates hashtags and I love them.


Thank you for the calls, check-ins, messages, etc.  I Heart You!  


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers