Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course

9:15 PM

I almost died the other day and I'm not exaggerating.  Ok, I am exaggerating but it really was the most scared I have ever been in my life.

Before I go on let me tell you a few things...
1.  I am not a wimp

Well that's the only thing I wanted to tell you.  I'm not a wimp.

I'm not a wimp.
Okaaaay Kathryn (you call me Kathryn when you're annoyed with me) we get it.  You're not a wimp.  Why?

Because... I was a wimp.

Come along with me on a little journey called The Most Scared I Ever Was.  That title needs work.  Yeah I got it.

I saw a sign posted at 480 that said "Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course Sign-Up."  I had really wanted to try it but was nervous...mostly because I get nervous around people I don't know well and worry that I'll have nothing to talk to them about.  You? Katie.  You talk to everyone...about everything...all the time.  I know, peeps, but I get scared with new people.

I signed up...well LC signed me up when I mearly mentioned I was interested.

Ok, so we meet at Starbucks...4 Crossfit girls and me.  We had a great drive up to Flag, chatting, laughing.  It was so fun that I almost forgot why we were going up there but as we pulled in to Flagstaff Adventure Course I remembered, it was to try not to die.  That was the reason we went.  


We get up there and start going through the training.  We put our harnesses on.  I looked lame.  I'm not sure how but the other 4 girls made harnesses look cute.

The guy was going over the rules:
1.  You always have to be clipped in with both clips, or at least 1.
2.  Your clips have to face opposite directions.
3.  The clips can be above you but never below you.

He said that if you break the rule 1 time, they would give you a warning.  2 times, they might kick you off.  So we're going through the little training course.  Guess who got TWO warnings on the Training Course...ME!  That's who.   Possible foreshadowing for events to come?  I think so.

So, we finish that.  They let me go on even though I was a bit of a slow learner.  We climb up on the first course.  I WAS SO SCARED.  Now, logically, nothing can really happen because you're harnessed in but it was so freaky.  Guess who else in my group was scared?  NOBODY.  That's who.  I was with a bunch of girls and they were SO BA.  I was not so BA.  My A was super freaked out.

Only 35% of the people who start this course finish it.   We were only on the very first part and I was terrified.  We had to stand on these platforms and walk across a "bridge" and I put that word in quotes because it wasn't a freaking bridge.  It was a wobbly, movey, you could fall at any moment thing you try to and balance on.
I know it doesn't look high up and this part wasn't...and the camera's
died before it was really high but you'll just have to trust me.
This was the entire course and they kept getting further apart and more wobbly and more technical as we got through the courses.  
They said this is where most people have to be rescued.
There was one point where you had to swing from a rope.  Like Tarzan?  YES, like Tarzan!  And then you swung into a net and crawled on the net as if you were Spiderman.  My friend looked like Spiderwoman.  I. Did. Not.
Spiderwoman
The whole day went like this.  One of the memorable obstacles was where you rode a skateboard across a very tiny cable...while a million feet in the air.  Ok, it was 65 feet but who rides a skateboard in the air?  Nobody, that's who.

We were about 3 "bridges" away from finished and on one of the last ones all there were was a bunch of rings tied to ropes.  So you had to put your foot in 1 ring and swing and go into the next ring.  I was about to quit and somehow my Whole 30 Partner in Crime yells, "You're almost there.  Put your foot in the next one.  You got it."  Oh how I love her and  the Crossfit 480 way...always encouraging and never going to let you quit.


So, obviously all the BAMFettes that I went up there with, who never once made a peep about being scared, finished.  There was never any question.  They were so awesome the whole time but guess who else finished...ME!  So...let me recap...WE ALL FINISHED!  

It was the scariest thing I've ever done.

We're all done and I'm trying to catch my breath and remember that I really was still alive and the girls say, "We should do this again.  It was so fun."
"Hmm, I'll have to get back to you on that one.  Once in my lifetime may be plenty."

Then, as if to cap off my wimpyness one of the girls who is the most beautiful/fit girl I think I've ever met in real life says, "I feel like I actually got a little bit of a work-out without really working out."  I almost tripped her on purpose but my legs and arms were so sore they were shaking so I couldn't.

I think she did a WOD or 2 after this.
Afterwards we rewarded ourselves with some beer and burgers...but 2 of us just had burgers with avocados and no bun and no beer.

Overall...
1.  A fab day.
2.  It was super safe and affordable.
3.  I can do anything I choose to do.  You can too.
4.  It helps to have super encouraging, awesome BAMFettes with you.
5.  I aspire to be more workey outty in the future cause my friends work out WAY more than me...and I should join their fit club.





You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. love it!!! good job Katie!! Flag looked gorgeous : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Love your posts, too! They always make me laugh:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. KP, it was gorgeous as usual. I often miss our days up there. Shea, I'm so excited that you read my blogs! I clicked around on your too, very fun!

    ReplyDelete

Followers