This Time Was My Favorite

7:19 PM

The day I walked into that hospital room and burst into tears after seeing my brave sister holding her brand new son was my favorite.

Maybe it was the day we went to the beach.  I taught Philip how to put sand through his fingers and he taught me that babies and sand aren't always a good mix.

The day Tom and Danielle walked into their house with their fresh baby girl was definitely my favorite.

Perhaps it was the day I watched my nephew intently look at ants while his sister slept in her mama's arms and the sun set at the part.

No, it had to have been the weekend I got to be with them all by myself and learned, the hard way, that listening to the baby's mom about not taking her to the movies would have probably been smarter.

The beach bonfire when Philip and I ran so fast we fell in the sand.

The night Danielle told me I'd have a hard time getting Lily to sleep, I took it as a challenge, and rocked that baby while her sweet breath touched my face was my favorite time.

The trip to Disneyland where the three of us got to ride Peter Pan, just us.  That was the best.

I had the best time watching my nephew run to the computer to discuss our very first book club book when he was just in first grade.

Cuddling with my niece on the bow of the boat while we made funny faces and laughed until our bellies hurt, that was my favorite.  

Nah, it had to have been listening to Lily "tell on me" with her hands on her hips, "Mom, Aunt Katie won't stop calling me Goose!" and realizing that her parents would never have to worry about anyone pushing that girl around.

Nope, it was this trip.  This trip was my favorite.  Lily is cooler than almost every adult I know.  Her quick comebacks and easy-going personality are the perfect mix of her parents.  My nephew copies every single thing his father does and I watch my brother become the very best version of himself, right before my eyes, because his every action is immediately reflected by his son.  I got to steal those kids away and have them all to myself.  We cuddled hard, went swimming and went on an adventure though the woods.  Philip got his breakfast all over the place, the hot tub was dirty, we had to walk through very tall weeds on our treasure hunt...and our day was perfect.  A perfect day in a world of imperfections-such is life.  Yes, this trip was my favorite.


We make new memories, but we're still us.  Aunt Katie, Philip and Lily.  The bond gets tighter.  The love gets stronger.  Those kids are my favorite.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Followers