Profound Words From My Favorite Writer
7:13 AMSometimes I get a case of the "I miss yous," like today, still, after almost ten years has passed. It usually happens in the morning, when it's really quiet. I look up at my pictures, the one of you laughing with your mouth wide open (typical) or the one of you sitting between my brother and I-possibly probably regulating an argument even though we were adults, and I realize that I'm always going to miss you.
So, I look for your words and lucky for me, I always have them.
Last night I was talking to my aunt and I partially joking, "I need to be told all the time that I'm wonderful." She laughed and said, "Yes you do," because we both know that's kinda true. I said, "It's my mom's fault. She always told me how great I was. Luckily I have old e-mails and cards from her to remind me of all of it. Although, most of them are littered with lots of advice and scolding as well." We laughed because we know that's absolutely a fact.
I read them and I can hear your voice and it's as close as I can get to a hug from you because they are you, one hundred percent Peggy Cartier, Mom, your voice. I silently thank God for giving you that gift because when I open them up, I almost feel you for a minute.
Just love...
Being "the best Mom"-thanks for that, Mooch!- is a piece of cake when you have a daughter like you! You are sunshine and light, Katie, and you always have been! Your power is boundless, as is your energy! Believe it! You are a gift and I know it better than anyone! Our planet has been blessed with a strong woman guided by nothing more than personal integrity and faith in something far greater than yourself! You have a firm grasp on humility and compassion, the necessary barometers in a calculating universe. I celebrate the person you are out loud and to everyone!! You make me proud to be a Mom:)
XOMom
Advice...
You are a wonderful daughter! Yes, I forgive you for being bucky at me because your pops gave you a bill. I think you're amazing, and truly gorgeous, Ms Katie, so relax! When I tell you to "lead with your chest," it's ONLY be cause less than that looks like you lack confidence, and you, my dear, have NO REASON to lack that! You are incredible, and I should know! I'm not just your mom, I was your first teacher:) XOMom
Typical...
Hey, Squirt! I get that the kid thing trumped my desire to see you yesterday, but that cannot happen twice. I miss your face, your ornery little attitude, and the richest laugh I've heard since my own! See you on Sunday after yoga! There's a great looking restaurant near Blue Burrito that's a breakfast place. Think we shoulds try it? XOMom Yes, dear, you are ornery on numerous occasions. Don't take it to heart, kiddo, you learned from a master:) The best news is, you make a qauick recovery. Love you, Mooch!
Computer Difficulties...
See, this is why I never send attachments. I forget to attach them... XOMom Wait, I don't know how to make an attachment...maybe I'll forward this to you????Speaking her truth...I drive: myself nuts wanting to make things better (truer?) for those I love most--my family, my nephews, my sister, my parents. I still believe truth and clear vision are the greatest gifts we have, and we can go at anything from that perspective--even ourselves!!! I sing: loud and daily! I dance: Whenever the mood strikes me, even if we're driving somewhere! I now just pull over, get out, and dance. Why not? You can't be arrested for having a good time, as long as you're out of the line of traffic... I write: daily and for my children! So they'll know what my daughter calls "the real" Peggy Aarskaug Cartier! I miss: The innocence that was Tom and Katie when they were little. Gosh! Soooo open and trusting of everything we said and did. A huge responsibility. I keep hoping (and then seeing) that yes, we did pretty darn good! I search: The faces of those I love for signs of God in their lives. I've learned: That God is in all of us, and if we believe in those we love, we believe in God! How simple, and how profound!Tough Stuff...Hey, Mooch, Sorry I didn't just crawl in with you last night when it struck me (just before I went to bed!). I won't restrain myself again when it comes to crawling in...I still do that with my Mom:) Next time, we'll get the crying out of the way earlier, if we must cry. This is all just a little too new, I think. We'll get it together soon, as that's what Cartier kids do, right? We've at least got it down to just a few times a day, right? Your Dad and I were talking this AM about the experiences you and Tom have had in your lives. Many more deaths to cope with than either of us had experienced at your age, and you both handled them with more grace than I knew you had at the time. I realize how poorly I'd handle my Mom's death even now, and I understand how frustrated you must be with this mess. Let your faith carry you through whatever happens next, Katie, and you'll do fine. I love love love that you and your brother understand that there IS something even bigger than your parents, who are human after all. It's how I fell asleep each night in the hospital--in prayer. I'm glad you go to church, I know it provides strength, and it's the best thing you can do for your children. Keep in mind that we are strong, we can handle more than our share, and we continue to move forward, be as good as we know how to be, and continue to welcome the world in with arms wide open. It's the best part of us, Mooch! XOMom Some day, let's you and I have a day together, hunh? Shop, movie if we want, whatever. I love you hugely, Kathryn Ann Cartier! Chin up, shoulders back, you can handle anything:)Good Reminders for Today...That last line sounded wistful, kiddo. Worry not! You wouldn't be here unless you were going to have children that are even better than you! That's how God populates the planet when things get out of whack, kiddo. The good folks all get babies. When it's their time. Relax. Areyou having fun? Are you happy? Lucky you! All that, and you're beautiful--inside and out--to boot! some folks get all the gifts- XOMomThank you, Mom, for this gift that I will always have-you and your profound words. Your legacy lives on...and what a legacy it is.



1 comments
Katie!
ReplyDeleteThis is beyond touching! OMG your mom was an amazing person! I'm so happy you have these to look back on! So funny, at the end where she said, don't worry you'll have children who are better than you. I don't know why, but I always remember a time when we were at N.A.U. and you said that you had to get a degree higher than you mom, for some reason you wouldn't be satisfied unless you surpassed her in that way. So funny. I wish I could've met your mom. She sounds like a really funny and loving lady.