Beauty Obsessed
5:15 PMThere's a strong possibility that this is going to be an unfavorable blog...and that I am going to offend several people that I know.
I'm going to blame my mother. Ummm, I'm not sure you can do that. Still, she beat these thoughts into my head and they are so deeply engrained that I can't get them out. Every time I would stay in front of the mirror too long she'd say, "Kathryn, stop worrying about your damn face. You're beautiful. Now find something better to do. Why don't you go and feed the homeless tonight at the soup kitchen. Maybe you could write a letter to your grandparents. You could come and help me cook dinner. Get away from the f!@#ing mirror."
Disclaimer #1: Don't get mad at me. I get a lot of anxiety if people are mad at me. I love you all, even if you can't smile at me. If you're going to get mad, don't read this. Just close the link now.
Disclaimer #2: I'm not saying that I will NEVER do any of the things listed, below, but I'm going to hope I won't.
Disclaimer #3: Confidence is sexy so if any of the stuff listed below makes you confident, do it! Who the hell am I?
Disclaimer #4: Who am I? I'm a total dichotomy because I wear make-up, get my hair highlighted, nails done...so, really, who am I?
I can not wrap my brain around our beauty-obsessed society. I just can't. It breaks my heart that my fellow women feel like they need anything besides a kind and happy personality.
Why...
1. The Fake smiles
I see so many social media posts where only the bottom half of someone's face is smiling. Why? Why don't you have a legit smile? Are you afraid of what your real smile looks like? Are you not really having a good time? Did you know that when you smile, your eyes crinkle and your cheeks move...because in those fake smile pictures nothing is happening but a mouth movement. It looks stupid and like you're not really happy.
2. All the Botox
Enough already. For the love of God, your forehead is SUPER shiny and it's pretty damn obvious that you have put poison in your face to ensure that it doesn't move.
Don't get me wrong. I don't love the wrinkles that are quickly appearing on my face...from giving my famous teacher look or from so many tears, because sometimes life gets hard, or from years of teaching kids to swim or laughing until my stomach hurt. Down the road I will say, "That look could make a kid do or stop doing anything...anything. And those lines near my eyes? Yeah, my days were happy. I spent a lot of time grinning from ear to ear."
3. Injections
This filler and that filler and why the f!@# are you making your face plastic? Why do you not want to look like you? You...you with the thin upper lip. You with the furrowed brow. You with the shallow contours (I actually had to google what filler did to write that). YOU are already beautiful.
4. All the money spent on your face
Maybe it's because I'm not an esthetician but I just don't get it. Why do we spend so much money of face cream with diamonds in it? Wanna know my beauty routine? No, Katie, you're not the be all, end all, when it comes to beauty. Yeah, you right but I'm gonna tell you anyway.
Night time Routine:
1. Rub my eyes when I'm tired until I have mascara on my hands and realize I should wash them.
2. Grab a make-up wipe and wipe my face.
3. Brush my teeth.
Morning Routine:
1. Wash my face with Neutrogena soap in the shower.
2. Put coconut oil all over my face and body in the shower. (Plug for my favorite product in the world)
3. Put on make-up (which has sunscreen in it).
Daytime Routine.
1. Drink water.
2. If I haven't been drinking water, douse my skin (including my face) in Jerkins.
Maybe it's not one or the other. Maybe a little of both is best? I'm not sure. I just wish beauty obsession wasn't everywhere, in so many conversations and on the hearts of the people I know and love (myself included). You are already beautiful.
What are your thoughts? Do you hate it? Love it? Agree? Disagree? Want to punch me?






0 comments