30 Day Hot Yoga Challenge (Days 7-17)

9:33 PM

I can't believe I'm almost 2/3 of the way through this thing...

Some of these things are profound life lessons and some are about bananas.  Take what you want, learn what you will.  Your welcome for all this wisdom, about fruit, I am about to bestow upon you.

Also, here's the warning.  You're about to read a few things that might make you say, "Katie, that's unhealthy to do to your body."  To that I say, "The benefits are FAR outweighing the pitfalls and I am not going to die.  I promise I super take care of myself in the studio, laying down in Shavasana whenever I feel the need (and sometimes when I just get lazy)."


5.  Electrolytes 
Conversation with a girl at work (who, bt dub, had a baby like last week and has a six pack again):
Me: I need more electrolytes.  Google said so.  My sweat is like pure water, no salt and I'm getting dizzy. <--- Side serious note:  This was actually happening and it is dangerous so if you're gonna do 30 days, be a bit more prepared than I was.
Her:  You need to down some coconut water.
Me: Nope.  I'd rather pass out.  That shit's disgusting.
Her: It's so good.  Get the one with pineapple.
Me: No, that one is gross too.
Her:  How bout the one with orange?
Me: I'm never drinking it.  Ever. Ever.  And, also, I think you're kinda gross for drinking it (but in my head I was thinking: Is that the magic you drink to get that stomach?  If so, I may reconsider)

It tastes nothing like this picture makes it look.
This looks like pina colada.
It tastes like rotten fruit water
So, the yogis in the studio said I could get electrolyte tablets and take those.
Option 2: Emergen-C. Hashtag: sort of gross but stomachable <-- new word.
Option 3: Gatorade 2.  Hashtag: Low in calories and full of chemicals.

I'm doing, both, 2 & 3 only because I haven't been to the store to get the tablets.


4.  Bananas
When I first started, probably days 5-15, I would super crave a smoothie when I left.  I didn't know why but I think it was the sugar and also the potassium.  Apparently potassium is a very important thing and I'm not sure what else has potassium but bananas do so I have recently upped my banana intake.

It helps with the hand and foot cramps which were happening, BAD, on Days 13-15.  That was right up until I found out about the bananas.


3.  We Can Do So Much More Than We Think  
My brain wants me to quit way before my body.  I will seriously go into class saying, "I'm not doing Flow 3 today and I'm not doing 2nd set of Eagle," and then low and behold my body can keep going.  Our bodies can do so much more than we think they can.


2.  Stop Thinking
One of my instructors says, "You can't think and do yoga at the same time."

I have to remind myself to not get in my head.  Tomorrow morning I have to go to 5:30 am yoga, do my whole day, and teach at ASU.  Normally I'd let that start spinning me out of control but I'm not letting it.  1 thing at a time.  I can do this.  I do yoga every day and I love it.  So, get up and get there.  Done.  Stop thinking and do. When I would get all freaked out about eating or lifting my friend would say, "Stop thinking about it and just make it happen."

Not everything has to be a big deal.  In fact, most things aren't.


1.  Go Easy on Yourself
Doing yoga every single day ensures that I will not do great every time I go.  I feel like that's so much clearer as I'm doing it every single day than it was when I was working out 3 or 4 days a week.  Some days I'm so deep into Pigeon I feel like I can actually see my hips opening and other days I can hardly get down at all.  There are times that I am holding Warrior C and am actually sad when she says the next pose because I want to stay there all day and other days when I'm sure the other yogis can hear me audibly saying, "Fuck," multiple times as I fall out over and over again.

Alex, one of my very favorite instructors says, "It just yoga!"

Isn't that right with most stuff in our lives, "It's just _________________."  Re-freakin-lax.  Nothing goes perfect every time.


I seriously eff something up every single day and most days, I'm totally ok with that.  Yoga is teaching me to be more and more ok with it.  We fail.  We learn.  We do it again. <--- I want to do a little dancy jig here just to add emphasis.  Pretend I'm doing that right now.

So, lesson for the day: go easy on yourself.  I bet you did your personal best in most of the things you did today.  Good for you.  My yoga sucked and I was all over my mat today but I went and I Downward Dogged my way through class.    Good for me.  We got up and did our thing today.  Good for us.



Benefits so Far:
- I'm SO MUCH more flexible than I was before and since we store emotions in our bodies, I have let some of those go as well.
- I'm less tense and more relaxed.  My options to remedy my tension were either Zanax or Sumits, I chose Sumits.
- I'm stronger.  In 2 weeks, I notice a huge different in my Up-dog
- My skin is glowing.  It's soft as a baby's butt.  If your hands are really clean and we are close you can feel it if you see me.  If your hands are dirty and we don't know each other, I'd rather you don't touch my face.
- I think I'm slowwwwwly losing weight.  I can't be sure of this because I won't let myself get on the scale but I think I might be.
- My eating is totally under control.  I don't have those out of control times where I want/need to eat everything in sight.  I feel like I eat what I need and that's all.


Until next time, Namaste.  

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. AP State Board Syllabus Class 6 TextBooks PDF – Download Class 6 Andhra Pradesh Board School Books in PDF To kick start the exam preparation, one thing students should have with them is textbook or notes or study materials. Books will help you more at the time of your exam preparation. One AP SCERT Book covers many of the exam resources like the latest AP state syllabus, AP 10th Class Textbook Andhra Pradesh Board Model Question Papers, exam pattern, exemplar solutions, and review question list. So, Andhra Pradesh Board 6th Standard pursuing students keep on visit the official website for updates books & notes or you can also check our page for getting updated AP SCERT 6th grade Subjects-wise Books PDF download links

    ReplyDelete

Followers